Best set-up $2000 or less (no tv)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leonard_Crabs, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Leonard_Crabs

Leonard_Crabs Auditioning

Greetings!

I recently bought a Samsung 42" Plasma-Display (SPL4225K) from my local home theater store, and now I need a real home theater system. I thought I should get some expert suggestions before going out and buying a bunch of random crap...

Here's the low-down:

-As I already mentioned, I don't need a tv.
    -I have no brand preference for receivers (although I've heard Denon is good)
    -I have no brand preference for speakers/subwoofers.
    -I like Toshiba DVD players, and it would be nice to get one with multi-disc capabilities...
    -My budget is $2000.
    -Any other suggestions (ie what cables I should use/remote controls) are also appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Leonard. Welcome to HTF.
    Let's break this down:
    DVD Player: I'm assuming that plasma TV is a HDTV unit. So you will want to pair it up with a Progressive Scan DVD player. This link will take you to a recent Progressive Scan Shoot Out . The Panasonic RP82 seems to be the clear winner for a budget price of $200.
    Receiver: This link to a Receiver Comparison Table is sorted by price and shows what you get for increasing $$$. Denon is a fine brand as is Yamaha. Kenwood is trying to rebuild it's reputation so offers some great features for less money. I'd budget about $500 for a good AV receiver. And since that Plasma TV is HD, make sure the receiver you pick has HD Component video switching so you can run the video through the receiver.
    Speakers:
    My advice: pick out everything else and then with the left-over budget, shop for speakers.
    Nobody can tell you that for $1000, any one set is 'better' than any other. It's like ice-cream: your tastes and mine are different. So go out and audition. Bring 1 favorite DVD, and 2 favorite CD's. This is the only way to tell if the sound of a speaker is pleasing to you. While DVD movies are fun, music is a bigger challenge for speakers so let the best-sounding speakers with your music be the one you buy.
    Misc:
    You will want to budget for:
    • A copy of the Avia setup DVD: $40
    • A Radio Shack Analog SPL meter: $40
    • 5-6 of the Radio Shack Dual Banana plugs for your speakers: $40
    • 5-6 of the Radio Shack Single Banana plugs for your receiver: $40
    • A spool of 100 ft of 12 ga Sound King wire from www.partsexpress.com: $30
    • A high-def capable component cable set from www.bettercables.com. 1/2/3 Meters: $100/$120/$140(
    Note: To start just buy 1 good component cable and go straight from the DVD player to the TV. You can flow video through the receiver when you add more video sources.
    Remotes: Many of the remotes you get are 'universal' so ... just pick your favorite and use it. If you want a good, budget remote, the One-for-all 7 is fantastic for $25. If you want a higher-end remote, browse www.remotecentral.com for lots of reviews and information.
    Good Luck.

3. Leonard_Crabs

Leonard_Crabs Auditioning

Thanks for the advice...I guess I'll go and audition some speakers at my area theater shops...

4. ScottATL

ScottATL Stunt Coordinator

I am in the process of putting everything together on a $2000 budget and although I went over a little bit, I'd recommend the following.

Receiver - Harmon Kardon AVR-520. I got this from Onecall.com for $511 with 2 day shipping

Sub - I got a break here as I bought a 2 month old SVS 20-39 PC+ off the for sale adds for $500 shipped, but new it would be $620 shipped. You could go with the 25-30 for a $50 savings.

Speakers - I purchased the Paradigm Monitor series. After auditioning them, I knew I had to have them. I got the Monitor 7's (towers) for the front, CC370 center, and the Mini Monitors for the rears. Total they list for $1397, but you can get 10-15% off list price from just about any dealer. In fact, I can give you my dealers name because where I messed up was I should have ordered them from out of state, then had them shipped directly to me for a $30-35 charge. Would have saved me $100 in tax. If you can get the minimum 10% off, you'd be at $1260.

$1260 + 511 + 620 = $2391.

If you aren't flexible on the 2k, then you could substitute Mini Monitor's or Monitor 5's for the Monitor 7's and be right at $2k