best series finales

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
regarding The Wonder Years
It has been a LONG time since I have seen this episode, but as I remember it, Kevin and Whiney are in a shed of some sorts during a rain storm talking about the future and afraid of the different paths their lives are taking and how they can't be together anymore despite wanting to. At some point it then changes to the Kevin voice over and he says something to the effect of them having sex, being each others first time.

It goes on to say how then years later, Kevin meets up with Whiney again somewhere and is introduced to the man she is about to marry and at some point, again a couple years later, she picks him up at the airport and gets to meet his wife and kids?

I think that was the general idea of the final episode, thought probably not exact.

Daniel W

Agent

IIRC, they also mentioned that Paul went to Harvard Law School and that Kevin's father died during his senior year of high school, leaving Wayne to take over his business.

John_VI

Second Unit
Chris - I think you're mistaken about the bartender in QL's series finale being God. In fact, Sam confronts the bartender with that very question and the bartender denies being God (or at least leaves the very distinct impression that he is NOT God). I think the exchange went something like this:

Bartender: [smiles, then laughs] "You think I'm God!?"
Sam: "Well, you're more than just a bartender."
Bartender: "Well, you're right there. I also own the place."

Then near the end of the episode, Sam and the bartender are sitting on a bench outside the bar, when the bartender tells Sam that he [the bartender] is not the one controlling when Sam goes home; only Sam can control that.

There were sooooooo many great episodes in this series, but two jump out in my mind (other than the finale) as wonderfully memorable. The first is actually a trilogy. In the first episode Sam leaps into a small-town sheriff in a southern town and saves the life of the sheriff's daughter. Then in the 2nd episode he leaps into a deputy who is engaged to the now-grown-up daughter and ends up saving her life again. And in the third, he leaps into the town lawyer and must defend her against a murder charge, saving her life a third time. And in the 3rd episode he finds that he fathered a child with the sheriff's daughter, and that his daughter is now working on the Quantum Leap project, trying to get her father home (although she doesn't know that Sam is her father).

The 2nd memorable episode for me is when Sam leaps into a Private in the Navy SEALs in Vietnam and saves his (Sam's) brother's life. But at the end of the episode, we find that Al was a POW in Vietnam, and it was on a mission to rescue Al and several other POWs that Sam's brother was originally killed. The saving of Sam's brother was made possible by Al's decision to give up his own rescue so that he could help Sam save his brother. Al's decision to help Sam meant that Al remained a POW for 6 more years. Al's wife gave him up for dead and moved on with her life.

And it was Al's decision to help Sam in THAT episode that caused Sam to make the decision he did at the end of the series finale, namely to leap back to tell Al's wife that Al was alive, and that he would be coming home. So Sam finally repaid the favor that he had owed Al for so long.

What a great ending to a great series. And like I said on the other thread, it still makes me emotional to think about that finale.

Yee-Ming

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Hmmm, some of that Wonder Years finale is coming back to me, thanks for the heads-up.

Quantum Leap: wow, reading that stuff just made my hair stand again. I vaguely remember that episode about Al's capture and POW time, whilst being hauled off by the VC the voiceover says something about him "being free" for the 5 years he was held. I am SOOOO looking forward to the entire series on DVD

MatthewLouwrens

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Big WTF-factor. I liked it, I didn't like it, I couldn't decide whether I liked it or not.

I understand viewer reaction to that episode was so strong that McGoohan went into hiding for six months. Doesn't surprise me.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
The last episode of Futurama, "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings", was a great finale.

Mikel_Cooperman

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

The one that wasnt even a series finale except the narration being changed? I was furious when I found out that the character of Sam Beckett Never Returned Home!

The Wonder Years was also not filmed as a series finale butthe narration was changed. I was very dissapointed in that one too. How could Kevin not end up with Winnie?

My votes go to: St Elsewhere, MTM show, ST: TNG and China Beach.

X-files? They should have finished the show and lead into the Movie instead of milking it wayyyy toooo longggg.

Rob Lutter

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
The end of Buffy Season 5 (possibly one of the biggest shocks in television history)
The end of Buffy Season 7 (I know some don't like it, but I thought it was really cool
)

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike

That kind of ruined the episode for me as well.

Liked the finale for TNG, but it was a sad occaision, as we were seriously hooked on the show and it was like "no more new episodes?"

I didn't think the finale for Voyager was that bad (compared to some/most of the 'regular' episodes).

Best of all time though would probably have to be "Newhart", especially the very FIRST time you saw it. We were laughing for 15 minutes.

Most p*ssed of all time would have been Alien Nation. We'll have a cliffhanger, then cancel the series, then we'll make a TV movie a couple years later that kinda ties it up, but isn't entirely faithful to the series. But I sense I have gone too far in expressing fanaticism over a show that was on faux...:b

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Best Series Finales:

Magnum, P.I. (Magnum finds out he has a daughter and rejoins the Navy)

Miami Vice (Crockett and Tubbs both leave the Miami Police Department at the end...Crockett wearing a KU Jayhawk shirt)

The Wonder Years (Favorite line: "Wayne took over the family business...wood seemed to suit him)

MarkHastings

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Gotta agree with Newhart. When Bob says to Suzanne Pleshette - "You should wear more sweaters" and then they play the Bob Newhart theme.
Perfect ending!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell