Best sealed enclosure-front firing subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David J L, Nov 23, 2002.

1. David J L

David J L Auditioning

Because of placement in cabinet (wife's orders), I need a front-firing, sealed subwoofer for my theater. Room is 12X16. Cabinet restricts sub size to a max of 17" h,w,d.
    Any ideas?

2. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

Easy! Go for Velodyne's SPL-10 or better, the HGS-10.

See if your local dealer can loan you a unit to try in your room first. Room acoustics is half of the equation...

-Jaime

3. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

As a Audio/HT consultant (dealer) in Los Angeles, when I need a sub of that size, I generally end up with the Earthquake 10" or 12" SuperNovas (if you have a little more depth than 17") which are around $840 (10") and $1800 (12")

or the Pinnacle Dual 12 (600 watt) Sub, which lists for around $1,195. This one is totally front firing.

All three are rather high output for their sizes and would probably work well in that size room. (as long as it is not "open" to a larger space, in which case you might need two)

Regards,

John

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

No way you'll make an EarthQuake work in a cabinet. That PR needs room to breathe.
    Get Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audioto build you one of these:
    http://www.acoustic-visions.com/tumult.htm
    into a 17" cube.
    Also get an appropriate Linkwitz Transform circuit from them. Then find a pro amp that will dish out over 1500W into 4ohms and you are set. I don't think there is a better sealed sub that will still meet your size constraints.
    The closest would be a Revel B15, but it's a 20" cube and has the amp on the back that would need some air circulation.
    And remember, fixing the location of a sub to a cabinet can be dangerous. Room response could be very bad at that location.

5. Jaime B

David:

Dustin B has brought-up an important point that I did not think of in my two recommendations (Velodyne). Both are self powered, and inside an unventilated cabinet you will probably fry their amps with a single view of AOTC. Actually, the protection circuit will keep on shutting them down!

The room acoustics issue goes without saying!!!

-Jaime

6. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Wow, I totally missed the cabinet reference in your original post. Sorry.

What a cadet. :b

Dustin is correct the Earthquake has a PR in the rear that needs adds an extra few inches behind it.

The Pinnacle however would "fit" (dimension wise it is 14.25w x 15h x 15d) just fine but all "powered" subs will suffer from heat dissipation problems.

John

7. Jaime B

David:
    Allow me be honest with you, but in order to properly subwoof your A/V room, you will have to tell your wife to go fly a kite...
    On the other hand, stuffing a sub into a 17" (cubed) cabinet, ALWAYS beats getting divorced!!!
    Heh, heh! [​IMG]

8. PhilA

PhilA Auditioning

I had a similar situation with an even smaller cabinet (13" deep). I chose an HGS-10. I also had to get a right-angle after-market power cord and right-angle RCA connectors. While I'm probably not the world's most discerning listener, I think it sounds great. I also asked on this forum about heat in a cabinet, and was assured that the HGS amp is very efficient and would run very cool. That has been my experience, although I rarely run at "reference levels."

9. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer