BEST SD mode for a HD RP, 40-50"

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Father John A, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Father John A

Father John A Stunt Coordinator

Who does SD the best in a HDTV RP? SO far I haven't seen any worth looking at.

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Cable or Directv/Satellite SD?

It makes a big difference. Directv/Satellite SD looks fine on my 55" Mits.

Cable-non digital channels do not. They look better if I avoid the cable box so I'm more inclined to believe it really depends on the cable box you use. Digital cable channels look fine. Perfectly acceptable to me.

HDTV is of course the best.

I compared cable/D* on various sets(plasma, lcd, dlp) when I was looking and the Mits handled all of them the best. DLP had rainbows and handled SD like crap. LCD motion blurred like crazy on sports and didn't handle the Sd channels well. Plasma was almost as good as the one I bought but I couldn't get the size I wanted for the price I wanted. A 50" Plasma was too much. A 42" was too small for my room otherwise I would have strongly considered the Panasonic 7uy alot more.

3. Father John A

Father John A Stunt Coordinator

Is your Mits a CRT RP? I assume so based on your comments about DLP not panning out.

I defintely do not want CRT. So that leaves DLP, LCD, and Plasma (probably too expensive).

My main problem is that I am running standard cable (no box). I plan on staying that way until HD Tivo pans out and I can use that tuner. D Cable and sattelite hold no attraction for me.

So for now, if I bought a new other than a direct view CRT (my other option) I was hoping for something that would display SD decently.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

To get Plasma at any decent size yes it will get expensive.

The problem I see is that you don't want D Cable and Satellite so you are stuck with either an analog signal which is the worst of the bunch or an HD feed. I assume you want channels like ESPN, TBS, Cartoon Network etc and such that are still considered atleast in my
    area as "basic channels". I assume you don't just want the locals and thats it.

Being that's the case the signal has to be converted to digital then upscaled to 720P to match the resolution of the DLP/LCD you want. That is a huge issue and somehting most of these sets are not going to put their money into since HDTV is the wave of the future and they expect a majority of their buyers to have digital cable or Satellite with HDTV options.

The negative to buying a directview would be size. You aren't going to get much bigger than say 36" at the most and that is pretty small(or to me it is after moving up). Looking at a big HDTV image is breathtaking. ON a 36" it isn't as much.

Tough condundrum. I really never found a "digital" set that was good enough for me for SDTV. My Mits is acceptable to me and even my lofty standards but its pretty bad. The good part(I guess) is that I don't watch any SD anymore hardly. I'm glued to the HD channels.

Then there is the whole "HD Tivo" issue. Right now the cost factor is up there. One that can do HDTV will run you a mint unless you get a tv with one built in and then it likely will not have the Tivo interface. I'm really liking the one in my Motorola 6412 cable box so much I don't miss Tivo. I can do all that I did and record HDTV too but it requires a premium subscription and that doesn't seem like something you wish to do. Likely in order to get a lease box from your cable company you will have to do the same. For the inexpensive cost(to me) I'm happy. I could keep the box 10 yrs and not likely come close to the cost of an HD TIvo right now and then there is the worry that the HD Tivo you buy obsoletes or breaks down. I don't worry there with the leased Cable box.

Good luck in your search. At some point you'll have to compromise on what you want.