Best Screenplay Nomination Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Guy_K, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

This has nothing to do with this year's academy award nominations, so I hope this thread isn't locked.

I was always wondering about the best screenplay nominations. What constitutes a best screenplay? Where's the logic in it? Let's say Anderson and Wilson win for best original screenplay, Fellowship of the Ring wins for adapted, but A Beautiful Mind takes best picture. How does that work if both scripts were better than A Beautiful Mind's? Does anyone see what I'm saying? If someone turns up the best screenplay of the year shouldn't it also be the best picture?

2. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Not necessarily. A great script could be hampered by mediocre direction or poor editing, and a great film can come from a merely serviceable script provided the rest of the talent is up to snuff. So the best picture isn't always the one with the best script. Following your logic whatever wins best picture should also get director, actors, editing, cinematography etc. Film's a collaborative art, and as such some elements of any given film are going to be stronger and weaker. The best picture represents the overall strongest collaboration of the year, but individual elements of other movies might be better.

- Guy