Best Screen-Saver Color ???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by SeanA, Sep 14, 2003.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

When watching 4:3 digital over-the-air material on my 16:9 Sony XBR800, some stations broadcast black bars on the sides and others broadcast gray. When stopping a DVD on my Denon DVD-1600, the screen-saver is plain blue. Just wondering what color is considered best in terms of preventing burn-in on CRT based TV's ??? And should I be concerned about leaving the Denon's blue screen-saver background on for 10 or more minutes at a time ?

2. Ed Sloan

Ed Sloan Auditioning

Sean,

The gray bars appear when you are not watching a high-definition channel and are put there by your television. Black bars appear when you are watching a high-defintion channel that is not currently displaying high-defintion programming. Now on to your questions:

The reason for the gray bars is that it takes more time to burn in gray bars than black.

The reason for a blue screen saver with your denon is that blue is the least used color in the "red,green,blue" picture so it may cause the least damage and wear on your set.

For the applications being used, blue is the best color for that screen saver (other than black) and gray is the best color as side bars. You will not be able to change those channels displaying black bars on the side. That's just what they do.

I hope this helps and wasn't too confusing

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

A solid bright blue is just as bad for screen wear as any other vivid color. Even though it may not look so vivid on the screen, the bright blue is still the result of the phosphors being driven at full force.

Any screen saver should have most of the screen dim if not dark, and any not so dim material should not be kept stationary for a long time on the screen.

Gray bars cause the areas on the screen they occupy to wear at approximately the same rate as the part of the screen with the picture. This way, wear patterns (burn in) resulting from viewing wide screen programs will be less noticeable or unnoticeable.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Thanks Guys. I guess I am going to see if I can change the screen-saver on my DVD player (though I don't recall any screen saver options for the Denon DVD 1600) or maybe just shut the TV off when I need to stop the movie for an extended period. I had a suspicion the blue background (and it is fairly bright) was not a good thing.

Considering burn-in is a common problem with CRTs, why don't most DVD players give you a black or dynamic screen saver as an option ? It would seem a simple and inexpensive feature.