Best saw blade for mdf?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Joey Skinner, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

I'm building some speaker enclosures and need to know what is the best style blade for a smooth cut on a table saw? I currently have a Freud combination on my 9in table saw.

2. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Forrest Woodworker II

3. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

Thanks for the quick answer, Dan. After checking out your website I'm tempted to go with your enclosures instead of making my own!

4. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

i think a nice 40 tooth blade, although i do have a 60 tooth on my 10" radial arm saw. It cuts MDF like a breeze and leaves no saw marks what so ever. But on other material, my baltic birch for an example it is kinda struggling, not really enough power for it, and some times i get some burning. Granted i only got the 30 dollar blade at HD (i was on a tight budget) If i had the cash i would love a nicer blade.

5. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

I got one of these over a year ago from Lowes for $29. It even came with a free blade stabalizer. But I don't think they still carry them at Lowes. I wish I would have bought 10 at this price!

Oldham Woodworking Wizard

I cannot tell you how much MDF I have cut with it, but it has been a lot. It leaves a glass smooth finish that does not need sanding! This piece has not been sanded. This is the raw cut from the blade!

[​IMG]

Last night I tossed a 12" x 38" x 2" piece of aged solid oak on the table saw. This same blade after a year of cutting MDF along with countless 2x4s, cut through the 2" oak like it was butter! I cannot believe this blade is not dull yet!

I highly recomend this blade!!!

rf

6. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

I wouldn't spend the money on a Forrest blade for cutting MDF. MDF dulls carbide faster than anything. I use a decent Freud carbide blade that costs $30 bucks and have perfect cuts. Buy the Forrest for furniture making etc...not for MDF.

That's my 2 cents anyway. [​IMG]

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I definitely agree on NOT buying a high-end blade for MDF cutting. MDF is most abrasive.
    Ronnie: when I sent my expensive Oldham blade in for its first sharpening, I bought their Wizard blade at Lowe's that you have and figured if it lasted a few months, it'd be worth it. But, a year later, it still cuts as smooth as you so graphically show! It's the bargain in saw blades in my limited experience.

8. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

Oops. Actually the blade I got at Lowes was a Woodworker's Signature Series like this one:

[​IMG]
    Woodworker's Signature Series

and not the Wizard series I posted above. I have the 1007740T that is still a great deal at $42.95 if you ask me!

I think they are the same blade with the only difference being the Wizard is teflon coated.

rf