Best Sat. Service

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Haddon, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Joseph Haddon

Joseph Haddon Auditioning

We recently signed up for Dish Network Service. We were told a technician would be at our house between 12 and 5. At twenty to four we called to check and see if they were still coming (my mom works nights and needed to sleep). They said they'd be there soon. at 5:10 we called again, saying they were late. We were told to call back in 15 minutes if no one showed up, and they would take care of it. No one came. We called back and filed a complaint. The technician said we werent home. Today my mom called to cancel the service, and they wouldnt let her, because my father was the one who ordered the service.
    So, my question is, should we stick with Dish Network, even though we dont even have the service yet and already are annoyed, go with DirecTV, or go back to Cable. We are extremely disappointed in Comcast cable, leaving us with only AT&T cable, so if you recommend cable, you are indirectly recommending AT&T cable alone.
    Any comments/suggestions welcome. BTW, all recommended services must offer Sci-fi, HBO and TechTV. Comcast did not offer TechTV, but all of the other services we've check out offer all three.
    ------------------
    - Joe

2. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    My guess would be this;
    Dish does not have their own techs driving around in a van all day. Just like most big companies today they sub contract their jobs out to the local "Billy Bob" installers that make about $8/hr.
    Cable TV does this too.
    I suspect Directv too?
    Bottom line; Weather it be cable TV, dish, or directv.
    These items will happen;
    you WILL wait on the phone longer than you want...
    You will, more than likely, have scheduling problems...
    But it boils down to this; who will give you the best service/picture and bang for the buck? I have had dish for about 2 yrs now. I got them because I prefer non sports shows. I find their picture VERY GOOD and reception wise, I have never had any problems. I cannot comment on DirecTV TV but we all know most cable companies suck, its a fact of life. Yes, I would like to wait less when I call customer service but with these mega companies that have us by the go-nads, we don't stand a chance due to supply and demand.
    Best of luck with your decision!
    ------------------
    Regards,
    Todd

My HT

3. Joseph Haddon

Comcast has dedicated crews around here for installation. No clue about DishNetwork (obviously) or any other company. Tho, I assumed the same when the call was routed to the midwest somewhere [​IMG]
    ------------------
    - Joe

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If you complain enough and threaten to cancel and go with DirecTV you will get some free programming out of the deal. Give them Dish another chance. If they screw up try DirecTV. Only try cable as a last resort.
    -Robert

5. Joseph Haddon

Comcast already offered us free stuff. We told them we were through with bad service and to, well, I dont think I'll go thorugh logistics here [​IMG]
    Anyways, I most certainly will threaten to go with DirecTV, and I better get something out of the deal [​IMG].
    ------------------
    - Joe

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I had a similar service with a recent DishNetwork installation in northern NJ. E* does not do their own installations and my contractor was coming out of Newark, NJ. I was scheduled for an 8am-12 instalation period and I'm waiting an waiting on a monday. 11:30 comes along and I contact Dish who tells me they will call the contractor's manager and tell them to call me. Well, right after that I get a call from the installer himself who was stuck on a highway with van trouble. Says he won't be able to make it and if I want to be the first one on their list tomorrow (tuesday). Even being the first one, they can only tell me from 8 to 9:30 (!!!!!! WTF?). So car problem, no problem, happens to everybody... Tuesday comes along, 10 o'clock rolls along.. finally I get the number of the contractor and call them and ask them quite nicely, what the hell is going on? They told me cause I didn't call them to schedule another appointment, they can't come today (now tuesday)! After kicking every chair in my kitchen. Then he tells me I can be first thing tomorrow (now wednesday). I sarcastically ask him, do I have to call you later now to schedule this too! So wednesday comes around and finally the guy shows up around 9:50am (20 minutes late, mind you) and we spend about 2.5 hours installing the sat. and stuff.
    The only thing I can advise is that when you complain (as with all delivery services) try to be the first one on that list, so you have less chances of getting super delayed or stuck behind somebody which might take forever. Since our house did not have cable or anything, the guy had to drill a hole into the basement and run the wire so I guess it took him a bit longer than your typical installation.
    As an aside, I was originally going to go Directv but I got pissed off at 6th Ave Electronics who tried to sell me a model that wasn't what they were showing on the floor. They had Sony A55's receivers on the shelf but they sold me B55's which does not have a digital output even after explicitely asking the salesperson that these are the models that you get.
    Jay

7. Eram Syed

Eram Syed Extra

I agree with Jay. I had a run around with the Dish Installer as well but ultimately, it was well worth the effort.
    The installer cancelled/changed/ arrived late but once the dish is up you are set. I have had zero problems with the dish itself.
    I would pick Dish again.
    Remember the tradeoff between Dish and Directv is that Dish has more HDTV/movie channels while Directv has more sports channels.
    I prefer movies but others prefer sports. Also you have more choice of receivers with Directv versus Dish.
    ------------------
    Eram
    ---------------------
    TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish 6000 + 8VSB, PVR 501, Dish 301, Receiver=Marantz SR5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

8. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I suggest you put up your own dish. It is very easy to do, I did mine and if I can do it, anyone can. Then you get less hassles and don't have to pay for installation.
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Most certainly less hassles with scheduling, but I'm quite happy with the installation job from them. I know I could do it myself, as the wiring to the inside is already pretty much done. The guy who installed it is a cyclist and the first channel he dialed into while saying "I know you'll like this channel" was OLN, I had it installed on stage 11 (after the L'alpe D'huez stage). I figured he must have saw the number of bikes and bike related stuff in my basement when he was running the wire into the house. [​IMG]
    I get great signal strength (~120 on 119 and ~100 on 110)
    and have had no problems except for heavy rain which I was able to see on Saturday, lost the signal for about 1/2 hour while it was coming down in buckets a river was forming on my hill.
    Jay.
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?