What's new

Best SACD So far (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, "goove" is sort'a like flubber. It changes shapes, bubbles, bounces, boings, and babbles.

Honestly, I'm not a huge Steely Dan fan. I like 'em OK, about the same as I like Spyro Gyra. Well, maybe I like Steely Dan a little more. I proably bought more Steely Dan albums, but were talking just a few degrees here.:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Grant, a few years back over at AVS, the hunting ground for those TAP9000's was Hong Kong. Sound Pros in San Diego stille has gold TAE9000's. Of course, they have no banannas or TAP9000's.

I nearly bought a TAE9000 when it first came out. A couple of years ago I almost bought a gold one from Sound Pros. I ended up getting a used Marantz AV9000, which also comes in gold in Asia...I lost the bidding for a used Marantz AV9000, in gold, with multi-switch, from Australia, back around the same time.

The TAP9000 thing was pathetic...in that Sony just wouldn't supply them in the quantity needed. Sony has gotten so big and DUMB! The beast's 12 left tenacles has no idea what the 12 right tenacles are doing. My brother bugs me to sell him one of my AV9000's. If Sound Pros dropped the price on the TAE9000 some, I might take him up on sellin' him one and grab a chaum-paynee Sony...? I may own one yet...?

Oh, I know what SA-CD you should try, Bryan Ferry's BOYS AND GIRLS. Very excellent, stereo or M/C. Otro tiempo mi amigo!:)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Sony can be dumb as a rock. Go to their music site and Dual Discs are being pushed like land in Flordia. Go to their electronics and their is a notice that they are not supporting dual discs in their changers since they do not abide by the specs....DDDDOOOOHHHHHH!!!!
My 1st TAP encounter was at the little dealer down the road from me which was the oldest sony dealer in America (RIP!).
They accidently got 2 shipped to them but only ordered 1 for a customer. I saw it went to talk to the wife went back and it was GONE! Then the Sony Metreon downtown had them but backordered when I got there.......

I member you saying you got the Mr Mod himself Paul Wellers latest on import SACD. How is that in surround?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Grant, I only listened to Weller in surround once. I recall, I liked the mix more than most. I've played it repeatedly in stereo. You should get it since you like him. I really like his cover of Hercules. It's the best vesion of it I've ever heard. He covered a relatively obscure Gil-Scott Herron & Brian Jackson song, cool. The album has really average sonics but I've enjoyed it more than most. If you're ordering from the U.K., absolutely get RPWL & T-Rex. Sonically, the Mark Knopfler Shangri-La album is a real winner. The donside is it's neo-skiffle album with only one real rocker. Best wishes!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
DVD-A = Yes : Fragile I couldn't believe how dynamic and fresh the hi-rez stereo tracks sounded compared to the CD (Cd's are sounding downright "tinny" ever since I began listening to DVD-A & SA-CD's) and the 5.1 tracks are really well done with DR that truly shocked me for such an old recording.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I agree that the Elton John remix series has been excellent (try Captain Fantastic) - I really wish they would bring out all his greatest hits remixed (and a remixed set of his videos would be excellent as well).

I'd also suggest Dire Strait's Brothers in Arms. Out in the UK now, it easily outdoes the CD in quality.

I like Steely Dan's music for demo purposes because there is absolutely no danger of a decent tune or non-pretentious lyrics distracting me from listening to the production. If ever there was a band that disappeared up its own fundament with pretention then Steely Dan is it ;) Sorry Steely Dan fans, but that's my take on it. I'm sure that you are all great guys, morally upright and good to your moms, but the very sight of that band's name is enough to induce the red mist. For the record, I don't like Spyro Gyra much either (though I saw one of their concerts once and they were far less bland live than in the studio).

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Andrew:

Some of us like the fact that they have intelligent (often wry) lyrics as opposed to the vast majority of what passes for popular music these days. Ahh well, everybody has different tastes.

I just got word that Brothers in Arms shipped, but it's not slated to arrive until next week.

I've seen Spyro Gyra live too (freebies from when I was the Music Director at the college radio station). Let's just say I was just as unimpressed. Of course in that same week, I'd also heard the Count Basie Orchestra on their last tour with the Count at the helm so maybe I was just a little bit jaded ;)

Cheers,

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I was surrounded by pot smokers at the Spyro Gyra concert which may explain why I found myself unwittingly liking it. ;) (and I'd only gone in the first place because a friend had a spare ticket). I don't know whether you can passively smoke pot (I know this sounds unfeasibly saintly, but I've never done any drugs, in spite of being at college in the seventies) but certainly I found a profundity in SG's music that night which I have never found again.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Andrew, I know somebody who doesn't smoke pot but apparently tested positve on a test, with one of the lowest numbers possible. Their spouse does smoke and they presumed second-hand smoke as the culprit.

Maybe Spyro Gyra got a wiff too?;)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

I think a serious Heroin Habit might be needed instead of a few wiffs for their music:D

cwhite

Second Unit
Best sounding SACD? That's a tough one. My first instinct is naming "Avalon" by Roxy Music, followed by "Boys And Girls" by Bryan Ferry a close second and I really can't choose one over the other. Best surround mix? That's easy. "In A Silent Way" by Miles Davis with "Up" by Peter Gabriel and "Ship Ahoy" by the O'Jays as runner-ups.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
The import of Air Supply: Greatest Hits

I know, 70/80s cheese music, but damn if it doesn't sound great.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about getting that, thanks!

Don't you hate that.
I have a DTS LD of Daylight; the explosion scene is incredible but the movie suck so bad

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The new Mozart Sonatas Volume 1 from Channel Classics is superb. Rachael Podger on baroque violin and Gary Cooper on fortepiano.

Highest recommendation. Tremendous sound and riveting performance. :)

PhilBoy

Second Unit
John,

I recently purchased GYBR 30th Anniversary SA-CD, but unfortunately I have only heard the Redbook layers which are a quantum leap above the CD version I've had for years. I do not have a HiRes rig yet.

I wore out two vinyl copies when I was a kid and thought that the circa '87 (fastmaster) CD would be an improvement over the record, which it wasn't. The original CD release has to be one of the most limp versions of this timeless masterpiece available.

May I ask what gear you listened to this collection with ? It might prompt me to upgrade.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I recently bought the SACD DSD recorded The Film Music Of Jerry Goldsmith for $9.00 at Best Buy.
It's an occasionally great recording but the performance is lacking in spots, namely the opening Star Trek TMP cut....lackluster at best, but when it shines IT SHINES! The TV medley is wonderful as are Twilight Zone The Movie(Overture), The Generals - MacArthur & Patton & The Boys From Brazil.

It's pretty good but far from perfect.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
PhilBoy,

My system is as follows for hi-res music listening...

Anthem AVM-20 processor
Sherbourn 5/1500A 5 channel amp
Anthem PVA-2 2 channel amp (unused for SACD, only for 7.1 movies)
Sony SCD-555ES 5 disc SACD changer
ACI Speakers (Essence center, 25th Anniversary Sapphires for main L/R, Emerald on walls for surround and standard Emeralds for rear surrounds. Titan II Subwoofer).

Hope that helps...and the difference between the Redbook SACD layer on GBYBR and the SACD layer is startling.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
I don't much care for the music but Kodo's Mondo Head is probably the best engineered and sounding SACD's I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks