Best SACD player for around $600, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by AndyN, Jul 22, 2003.

1. AndyN

AndyN Agent

Well I'm finally fed up with waiting for DVDA titles that I'd be interested in so I'm taking the SACD plunge.

For around $600 or so how would you rank the audio properties and features of the following:

a) Sony 555es (used)-tough to find but possible, I think

b) Sony 222es new or used for less than $400.

c) Philips 1000- used

d) Philips 963- only as an SACD player.

e) Pioneer Elite DV 45a- combo player

f) any others?

I'm using an RP82 for DVDA for now because of it's video properties but would like something very good for SACD. I don't need advanced bass management since I've got full range speakers all around but things like speaker level settings or even time delay (don't think it exists) would be nice. I figure the 555es is high on the list but is it worth the extra 300-400?

Thanks,

Andy

2. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

maybe the new ES dvd/sacd player coming out in August?

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andy, the 'C555ES is an excellent component, but as you said, you would have to go the used route. Check www.audiogon.com and eBay.

I have not used the Philips '963SA, but I have read good things about its audio capabilities. However, it seems to be buggy on the video side. Do a search here for more information.

The 'C222ES is a true bargain. You should be able to get one for around $350 through Oade Bros., J&R Music World, or OneCall.

Phil is right in that you might want to consider one of the forthcoming Sony ES DVD/SACD changers. The DVP-NC555ES carousel changer will be out for $600 retail, while the DVP-CX777ES 400-disc DVD/SACD megachanger will be out for $800 retail. These changers were here recently, so do a search.

4. AndyN

AndyN Agent

Phil and Keith,

Thanks for the information. I just read the HighFidelity Review article Re: SACDII and I think it's best that I wait. Since it's supposed to be announced in September, I guess I can wait a couple more months and confirm the backwards compatibility of SACD II. Man, so many format changes. I wish se could just have one high resolution format. I'm afraid of what the upcoming HD-DVD battle will spawn.

Thanks again,

Andy

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andy, I understand your point of view. I am definitely concerned about SACD II. I feel that SACD and DVD-Audio complement each other well, and now SACD II looks to be similar to DVD-Audio. I don't see the need for that, plus I am concerned about backwards compatitibility of SACD II with "SACD I" players. Finally, the record labels are just now getting on a roll (i.e., just within the last year) with SACD I software. This is an odd time to make changes.

6. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

Andy, I spent about $800, and bought the Sony DVP-NS999ES SACD/DVD Player. It is well worth the price for SACDs alone, and it's cutting edge DVD capabilities, are the icing on the cake. I highly recommend it, even though it's a bit higher than you want to spend.

7. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

Try Tweeter for the 222ES. In LA I'm sseing them on clearance for $349 (some open box, some not).

8. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

I have the 222ES, and it's most excellent. I bought it from www.oade.com for $325.

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Andy, the strength of SACD is the sound and will always be the sound. Myself, I could care less if I ever see any grubby little images off an SACD II. Remember that the 222 and the good ole audio only 555 SACD players are quite good with all your garden variety CD's too, now. When nearly all the SACD players under $1500 are combi-DVD-and who knows how many other minor formats players, will you wish you had a nice, simple audio player? If yes...? Just go get a nice, new 222 before they're gone. Pronto!

Most of us have so many video sources/formats to watch now....bah humbug..!..just how important in the greater scheme of things can some possible images on music discs be? [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope SACD II is nothin' but a minor speed bump in the road. On the other hand, if video images would help push SACD into everybody's conciousness, and push the format over the top...well I'm all for that. Ze fewture es so-oh stray-ainge who knows...?[​IMG]

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael said:

11. AndyN

AndyN Agent

Rachel,

I absolutely agree. I bought a tiny cheap lcd screen to navigate the dvda menus then turn off the video section. (gotta save my projectors life span). But my main concern is SACDII. Will new audio only sacd's be available when SACDII hits and will the new encryption scheme be backwards compatible? I don't thinks the studios would want to make dvda, sacd, and sacdII versions if they're all not compatible.

BUT, in case my itch still remains, do you all think the 555es is worth the extra effort and $300 over the 222es?

Thanks again,

Andy

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Andy, that's a tough call. The safe play is to grab the 222. The 555 is a fine sounding player. It definitely was the bang for the buck player of it's class. I would never give mine up. It excels however you employ it. I used to use mine mostly for stereo. Now I use it exclusively for M/C listening in my theatre. I don't have and have never heard the 222, but I do have the similar SCD-775. The 555 is a considerably, considerably better player.

I'd much rather have a 555 than a Denon 2900. I've been out three times auditioning the 2900 and it's good up to an extent. For M/C it lands somewhere inbetween the 775 and the 555. For stereo, I'd call it a notch above the 775 but clearly inferior to the 555. I speak of SACD only, of course.

If, it was me, I might make the safe play play and land the 222. If I then really got into SACD I'd try to land a 555 or XA777 in a year or so...or other new bitchin' player that exists then...? The lure of the 555 is strong though. It's a good'un. Good luck with whatever you decide! [​IMG]