Best S-VHS Machine

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brian_McKechnie, May 20, 2003.

1. Brian_McKechnie

Brian_McKechnie Auditioning

I am looking to upgrade my VCR and I would like to know what everyone thinks about the JVC HR-S9911U S-VHS machine? What other S-VHS machines would you recommend (a lower JVC model maybe)?

I have a few hundred VHS movies which I am probably not going to want to replace on DVD anytime soon and I would like to get the most out of them.

All info/reviews are much appreciated.

Brian McKechnie

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The JVC 9000 and 7000 series have had the two features that put them ahead of the pack: digital time base correction and noise reduction (TBC/NR), which do wonders with the picture.

Unfortunately, the build quality of each year's new model seems to have gone lower and lower. Of course, this seems like a widespread problem with all consumer VCRs. So yes, it's a good choice, relative to what's out there -- not that there's a whole lot to choose from -- but don't expect it to last.

You might be able to find last year's model (9900? 9800?) still stocked somewhere. Try Crutchfield.

//Ken

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

For years Mitsubishi set the standard for SVHS. As Ken noted with JVC, I have read that their build quality has suffered recently.

Still SVHS is a very inexpensive way to time-shift and keep some degree of picture quality.