Best RPTV for video games?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kline, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to be opening a cyber cafe/game center soon. We'll have a bunch of brand new bleeding-edge PCs all networked and running all the greatest PC games for people to play... and also, we are planning to have 2 or 3 (depending on budget) console game areas. These will be small 12x12 (roughly) openings/alcoves with Playstation 2, Xbox and Gamecube, all connected to a 5.1 sound (mostly likely a simple HT in a box setup) system for each room and a large screen TV, we're thinking around 50" will be the best size.

A friend of mine has a 40" widescreen Toshiba RPTV that's a few years old, but he claims it's all ready for HDTV and all, and it cost him $2500, but it's under $2000 now. It has a decent picture, but I noticed when playing games things tend to look a bit blurrey and faded, and he's using component video connections and keeps his TV calibrated with video essentials. Movies look great, games leave a bit to be desired.

So, can anyone recomend some decent widescreen RPTVs to check out? Just brands and sizes if you don't know a model number, etc.

2. NathanS

NathanS Agent

Check out the 47" Samsung, that’s the one I have, and the XBOX looks great on it. You can probably find it for $1500, and at that price it’s a steal. It also has a nice low glare screen protector, which will be a must if you're going to have complete strangers playing on it.

3. Atho

Atho Agent

Id the console (e.g. X-Box) supports widescreen options, no doubt go for a widescreen, but I don't know about PS2 and GC so it might be smarter to go 4 X 3.

Also, look for the feature of disabling the internal line-doubler of the set, as that upsamples the picture, causing it to have the problems you reported.

4. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

I know PS2 supports Widescreen as well, but I'm not sure about Gamecube (Don't have one, but a friend does). I was planning to go with a widescreen tv anyway
    Is this the Samsung you were talking about?
    Anyone ever seen this one from Samsung? How are Samsung TVs anyway? I haven't heard much about them at all.

5. Jeff Swope

Jeff Swope Auditioning

Don't videogames run the risk of damaging projection TVs, even HD ones? Stuff on the screen that remains still (life bars, score, etc) could cause burn-in, right? There's a warning in the front of all the game manuals that says something to that effect. Is this risk overated? I play a LOT of games, so should I stick with a direct-view HDTV?

6. NathanS

NathanS Agent

Tim,
    Here's the one I have.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?&b...t=24&scat=1470
    I don't think the two you linked to were 16:9. I got it at best buy for $1400.00 + $300.00 for the extended warranty.
    As for video games on a big screen, I'm not too worried. I used to have a 52" Phillips, and after a few years of playing video games on it, I didn't have any screen burn. As long as you keep the contrast down, and don't play the same game everyday for years, you'll be okay.

7. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Xbox, PS2 and GC all support Widescreen.
    The Xbox displays all games at 640p, the Gamecube only certain titles.
    The PS2 supports widscreen (select titles) but not progressive scan (not yet, there is talk about some titles supporting it later on).
    I picked up the Panasonic 47WX49 HD Television. Works great, though I do have all three consoles all hooked up via component cables so I have to use a mechanical switch box (for composite cables, but there is no signal loss at all) as the set only has 2 Component inputs (as do most sets).