Best RPTV for SD viewing?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bob-Smith, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

Been lurking for a while gathering info on selection of 50-52" RPTV. I have seen many comments on poor PQ when watching SD. What is the best format (LCD, DLP, LCoS, Dila, etc.) for viewing SD signal? Any difference between brands? Thanks for your help

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

The best technology for SD viewing is plasma. If you would rather not spend $3,500 for a 50 inch Panasonic plasma, you take a step down in SD performance with the other technologies.

Panasonic plasma can deliver an excellent in SD.
    The best the other technologies can deliver is good, with some only fair.

For about $2,500 the top choice all the way around is the Sony Grand Vega LCD KDF-E50A10. This model is unequaled at that size among LCD, DLP,LcOS.

3. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

Thanks for the response Arthur. I agree the plasma is top of the line for SD viewing, but I can not get past the glossy screen on plasmas. I find myself focusing on the reflections. I also agree that the Sony 50A10 is an awesome TV. It is on my short list, along with the JVC D-ila, both of which have matte screens.

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

2 things Bob.

1) The JVC LCoS (D-ila) scored worse on SD/analog than the Sony 50A10. As well as having poorer performance with DVD.

2) Have you checked out the Sony 50 inch SXRD. The KDS-R50XBR1 SXRD set is available at Circuit City for $3,225.
    This set has also gotten rave reviews.

CC has the 50A1 for $2,375 so it would cost you another grand (with tax) to get the SXRD.