Best RPTV for cable/DVD under $1800?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by SandeepS, Sep 14, 2003.

1. SandeepS

SandeepS Extra

Jan 18, 2003
    Finally, I've bought a home and am replacing my aging 27" RCA TV with a big screen.

I watch mostly cable and DVD's so narrowed my search to this 2.

Panasonic PT-53WX53
    Sony SON-KP51WS510

I've watched both TV's in stores and I feel Sony slightly beats out the Pany on picture quality. Now I do know most stores use HDTV programs for displays so didn't have a chance to test these TV's for cable programs. The Sony also looks attractive over the Panny but I'm not a visual whore.

Also, from my research, the Sony uses Digital Image Creation to beef up the standard feed and I'm not sure whether the Pany has such a feature or not. The Panny also has only 850 lines of resolution so I don't know how much that makes a difference realistically. Sound output doesn't matter as I'll be buying a surround sound system as well.

But overall, it seems the Pany is a lot popular here on these board than the Sony so I'm kinda hesitant before making the plunge.

For people who own these sets, can u please let me know how better is cable quality? I know while cable is pretty pathetic, there are some RPTV's that still improve the overall quality.

Thanks in advance
  2. Ed Sloan

Ed Sloan Auditioning

Aug 29, 1999
    Forget popularity. Between those 2 models the Sony wins hands down.
  3. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

May 16, 2002
    Jason Charlton
    I have a 57" Sony and after calibrating the picture using Avia, I was extremely impressed with the picture quality of my basic (non-digital) cable. The Sony's DO tend to have a bit more grain than other manufacturers, but this was practically eliminated once the SVM was disabled, and the picture properly set up.

Another thing that I absolutely LOVE about the Sony is their "Wide Zoom" stretch mode. IMO, it's the perfect compromise for 4:3 material. It slightly crops the top and bottom, and slightly stretches the image. I watch pretty much EVERYTHING in Wide Zoom.

I highly recommend the Sony.[​IMG]