Best replacement for these speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bradley_Z, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z Agent

I bought a house that had a dedicated theatre in it, but the owners took the projector, screen, receiver, as well as 2 free standing side speakers and the subwoofer. Someone suggested that I get these, are there any comparable products that I should consider instead that might be a better for about the same price range?

Velodyne SPL-1000 "10" (subwoofers)

PR. B&W DS6 S3 2 Way dipole Surround ( Speakers)

I don't even know where to begin looking.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

So is there still a center channel speaker there? If so, you need to either purchase front speakers to match the center or you need to replace the center with the match to whatever you get for your fronts.

You might also consider Ascend Acoustics speakers (preferably the 340's, but the 170's are also good if you need to save some money). You might consider the offerings from SVS and Hsu to compare against the Velodyne.

EDIT: Oh, I just re-read your post. So did they leave all of the front speakers and only take the surrounds? If so, then you should first consider the surrounds that match the fronts. If those don't work for some reason, you might consider the Cambridge Soundworks S300's because they have a switch that allows you to use them in dipole, bipole or monopole modes. I have these and have really enjoyed them.

3. Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z Agent

Yes, they left all the front speakers and only took the surrounds. I don't know what type of speakers I have as they did not tell me and they are in the wall and I can't tell by looking at them. Here is a picture taken before they took everything. I am now missing the speaker you can see on the wall that was also on the other side, as well as the subwoofer. The person who installed the original speakers suggested getting the ones I indicated earlier.

http://i3.tinypic.com/1620hlk.jpg

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I would assume that means that the fronts are B&W 600 series as well then. If that's the case, then those surrounds should be just fine. They offer the option of using them in monopole or dipole mode which is nice just because it gives you some options.

5. Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z Agent

I know that these surrounds will fit, but I was conerned they might be outdated or there might be a better product out there than this one. What about the subwoofer, is the Velodyne SPL-1000 "10" ok or there something better?

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

There's always something better . . . for a price. You could consider some of the SVS or Hsu offerings, or step up to Velodyne's DD series for a sub.

Those surrounds are still the current surrounds for that B&W series. They're good speakers, but you lose the top-end of the sound spectrum (10khz to 20khz) if you run them in dipole mode. Some people really don't like this, but others don't really care. Bottom-line: they are good speakers that will match your fronts, but you could probably buy something better for more money. Alternatively, you might could get something similar -- like the CSW speakers I mentioned earlier -- for less money if you wanted to go that route.

7. Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z Agent

First off, thank you for helping me so much already. I'm spending a lot of time and money on this theatre, I'd rather pay a little more if it means better sound. I went to the SVS website and only see one type of speaker, the other 2 are dimmed and it says are coming out later. When I click on the speaker they have it brings me here, with these choices:

http://svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

SBS-01 2.0 Stereo Pair: $225

SCS-01 Center Channel: $185

SBS-01 5.0 Surround Set: $599

SBS-01 7.0 Surround Set: $799

I just need 2 surround speaker, so which these are the ones you were talking about?

As far as the subwoofer, would Velodyne's DD be better than the SVS or any other makes in my price range? I don't really know what I'm looking for when I look at the specs. You can see what the room looks like from the picture I posted before, and the room size is 24x15. The most I'd be willing to pay is about $1400 for the subwoofer, and $700 for the speakers. I'd go a little higher if it meant much better quality.

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Sorry for the miscommunication. I wouldn't go with the SVS for surround speakers, just consider them for a subwoofer.

Specifically, you should consider the PB12-Plus/2, if you have room for it. I'm not sure which DD series would compare best with this subwoofer, but you should definitely do some research to find out as both should be very, very good subwoofers.

As for the surrounds, I think those B&W's should be fine. You might ask your dealer for a weekend trial of them to make sure you like them and hopefully he'll be nice enough to help you out.

9. Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z Agent

Before you said about the B&W's that "They're good speakers, but you lose the top-end of the sound spectrum (10khz to 20khz) if you run them in dipole mode. Some people really don't like this, but others don't really care. Bottom-line: they are good speakers that will match your fronts, but you could probably buy something better for more money."

What would be better for the money? I'm primarily going to use the theatre to watch movies.

I looked at the DD series and I think they are out of my price range. Are there any websites or anything that has a comparison of these? Just to double check, you also think that the SVS PB12 would be better than the Velodyne SPL-1000 for about the same price?

10. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

Hey Bradley Z;
    I think the PB12 NSD would provide better extension (low-end) than the Velo and would be able to either perform the same or better in every other aspect. The only advantage of the SPL-1000 over the PB12 would be size. If you've got the room for the PB12, go for it. You may even want to consider the cylinder version, the 20-39 PCi as it would take up less of a footprint. SVS makes a great performing sub for the money and if HT/movies will be your predominant medium, this is where the SVSes shine.

As for surrounds, that looks like a fairly sizeable room and as such, I would suggest surrounds a bit more powerful than the CSW S300s. These are very good surrounds for the money, however I think they might fall a bit short for output in a room that size. I have a pair myself in my secondary HT setup and while they do a very good job, I wouldn't suggest them for a dedicated theater room that size. I myself finally settled on a pair of Axiom QS8s for my surrounds and I'd have to say all of the positive feedback on these is pretty accurate. These speakers are very versatile with not only movie soundtracks, but also with multichannel music, DPLIIx'ed music, sporting events, you name it. They have the output, accuracy and soundfield of speakers much larger and more costly. While these aren't cheap at $530 a pair, they are one of the best surrounds I've heard to date. I didn't want to compromise on my fairly large dedicated theater room (2800+ cu. ft.) and with these, I don't have to... -TD

11. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I would second the suggestion of those Axiom surrounds. However, remember that if you get those your surrounds will no longer match your fronts. This is certainly not the end of the world (my surrounds don't match my fronts), but having all matching speakers -- or speakers from the same series -- is usually considered a best practice.

So while you can get a better speaker for the money, I don't know if you can get a better speaker for your system for the money.

12. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

True, Seth's suggestion is consideration, but I would think more so if multichannel music was more of a priority than HT/movies. Even so, I had a pair of Boston Bravos as surrounds just recently matched up w/my Boston VR3/VR12 front soundstage and while they did a great job, they did fall a bit short when it came to providing a larger surround field as they're direct radiating. Even in multichannel listening, I find the QS8s to be a better option, these are incredible surrounds regardless of the source.

One nice thing about the QS8s is you also get a 30 or 45 day satisfaction money back guarantee from Axiom to try them out in your own home. If they didn't work out, all you'd be out is about $15 in return shipping... -TD