What's new

Best Remote For Home Theater (1 Viewer)

mistercheeks

Auditioning
Real Name
jason bourne
Hi, I was looking for some advice. Im setting up a new home theater system using ir extenders and all the equipment is in the closet. Just wondering what the best universal remote is ,for this setup? Like most of you i only want to use one remote....also im going to be using a HDMI matrix switch and again which universal remote will work well,with this setup.Thank you :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The one that controls the components you bought.
Want macros? Buy one with macros.
Need it to light up so you can see it at night? Buy one that lights up.
If you haven't bought your AVR yet, you can buy an Onkyo NR818, or up, and you probably won't need an aftermarket remote.

mistercheeks

Auditioning
Real Name
jason bourne
Nice, I'll check out that receiver . So also i should of mentioned i have not bought a receiver as of yet.

mistercheeks

Auditioning
Real Name
jason bourne
ohhhh that receiver is $1000 ...LOL.. i'd hope that sucker has a all-in-one remote...if i have the money ill go that way but if not still open for advice..Thanks again!!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well most people, on here, are going to suggest a remote like this one...
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Universal-Remote-Touchscreen/dp/B009EIUH6G/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353220843&sr=1-4&keywords=universal+remote
The "vast majority" of people don't need that much remote. If you have a projector and a motorized screen with remote controlled lighting...sure.
But if you just have the components...use the one that comes with the AVR. A $600 AVR, add $250 that you would have spent on a remote...to the AVR...and you'll more than likely get a good enough remote.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Ive always liked not having to look at my remote when pressing buttons, so big well-spaced buttons have always been my preference. I also like the ability to turn any remote I own into an RF remote, this allows you to replace any AA or AAA battery with an RF transmitter, works awesome. Ive used this remote for years, learns anything Ive ever thrown at it.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Pretty much any Logitech Harmony Remote will do. Just pick the one that has the features, button placement, and price point that appeal to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks