Best RELIABLE printer for around $150 or less???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Apr 19, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I'm looking for a printer to do most normal deeds. My wife is still in school and writing a lot of papers. Speed isn't as important as quality and reliability. Reliability being #1 priority. No paper Jams/print errors/etc...

1200x2400 prefered and dual cartridge black/color.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

a HP 940c goes for $150 and I've never had a bit of trouble with it. Dual ink tanks, 1200x2400 photo mode.

3. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Lexmark X73 $149.00 at Wallyworld..
    2400 Print DPI (Photo Mode) Dual Cartridges fast printing
    in black (up to 12PPM)
    I have run almost a hundred sheets through my X73 which I
    bought about 2 weeks ago [​IMG] No jams yet..
    Cartridges are easily refilable avoiding the $30.00 price
    per cartridge to replace them.
    Did I mention it also scans copies and faxes?
    [​IMG]

4. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

I'd throw my vote in for the Epson 820. Very nice printer, and usually can be had for about $99.

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

940c is not bad, quality is lacking and the printer cartridges are very expensive.. *shrug*

The Lexmark Z73 is about in the right ballpark, cartridges less then the 940c, it prints faster and fair quality. It's what I'd call a "win-printer" though, it requires a fair chunk of system memory to print worth a damn.

The Epson is a good printer, but their support recently has been pretty lacking.

Cannon makes a bubblejet that is good quality, expensive low-quantity print cartridges..

Pretty much, the low end printer market is design to buy.. and throw away quickly.

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I will vote for Epson, their 8xx line is stellar. I currently use the Epson 880

7. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jeff,

>>I'm looking for a printer to do most normal deeds. My wife is still in school and writing a lot of papers. Speed isn't as important as quality and reliability.

I would go a different direction than the people above. If your wife is writing a lot of papers for school, then I would suggest getting a low-cost laser printer. That is unless you need the color capabilities and then you would need a ink jet printer.

I bought a Minolta PagePro 1100L a few months ago and have been happy so far with it. I paid $129 and I got a $30 rebate from Costco. It is fast and does a good job printing on Windows computers. It is not MAC compatible. I do have it shared on my network and I can also print from my laptop on my wireless connection.

I know that Samsung also sells a low-cost laser printer, under $200 list price, that maybe you might want to check into as well.

Glenn

8. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Glenn,
    How fast is that laser? Not trying to argue but I use a fairly
    pricey HP Laser at work and compared to my Lex Inkjet it's
    slow.. [​IMG]
    Granted I can't print in 2400 DPI as fast as the laser will
    print in normal mode. But running both in draft mode I can
    print faster at home. [​IMG]
    How much are toner cartridges? I have no idea what they cost
    since the company pays for them.

9. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Brett,

>>How fast is that laser?

It is fairly quick. It has a stand-by mode when not in use and the first page is the slowest to print. I don't do any large jobs on it, just a few pages here and there, and I wouldn't recommend it for a business but for home use it does the trick.

I have an HP and an Epson inkjet and the Laser is a little slower unless I am printing pictures on the inkjets.

**According to Minolta's Web Site it prints 10 pages a minute.

>>How much are toner cartridges?

I am not really sure as I have not had to replace one yet. My guess would be in the $75 range, that seems to be typical for Laser Printers. Not really anymore than replacing both inkjet cartridges and I am sure the toner will last longer.

Glenn

10. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I would also recommend a laser, even a used one. If your wife is still printing reports for class, speed (nothing like having to sit and wait on your printer at the last minute) and print quality are very important. Lasers can give you both.

Toner isn't cheap, but my IBM 4029 gets 80,000 pages on a cartridge. And it came with an envelope feeder, 750 sheet capacity, and it NEVER jams. Can't say the same for the color HP I use for pictures.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

As mentioned above: if papers (i.e. B&W text) are your primary printing needs, go with laser. There's even a cheap Samsung 600dpi B&W laser at Best Buy for $199. There's a 600dpi HP laser at $249 too, I think.

At work we have a bevy of HP Laserjet 5MPs that are three years old, used every day (around 10-30 sheets per day) and only 2 (out of 16) have ever needed some sort of service. And those were the most abused machines in that the users constantly printed different stocks and sizes of paper, and averaged between 30-50 pages a day.

Plus, laser just looks better for text. Even when comparing a 2400x1200 inkjet vs. a 600dpi laser (the HP at work) the laser still comes out on top.

12. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Glen,
    Yeah that's how my HP Laser at work is.. Slow on the first
    page.. The corontrons have to warm up as do the fusors.
    I work with some "real" laser printers at work so I know
    a bit about laser printers (just not familiar with the
    small units) The big units I use are Siemiens/Nixdord (`Oce)
    LED Plus and they print 20 pages per second and 10 pages per
    second respectively.
    Now if only those babies did photos! [​IMG]

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    At my previous employer, we switched from HP lasers to Lexmarks at one point. If you are looking for reliability, then I would avoid Lexmark. The old HPs are still ticking, unlike most of the newer Lexes.