What's new

Best Region Free player (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I've got a Malata, and its a good player all around. Take a look here: http://www.avdeals.com/malata_dvd.htm
I ordered from them back in September. Aside from a clunky interface, and poor remote, I like it. The firmware update they are waiting for may also add DVD-Audio to the player. The player has some DVD-Audio info in its menus, however it doesn't do anything at this time. Rumor has it that this will be activated with a future firmware upgrade. If this is true, it definitely makes it one of the best deals available. Even without that its a good deal already, progressive scan, MP3 playback, codefree, excellent PAL to NTSC conversion, all for less than $300.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Tanner,
No, the Apex is definitely not a good player! Stay away from it. I have so many troubles playing discs. It freezes up a lot during layer changes, it sometimes doesn't letterbox the movies properly, the picture is piss-poor (very dark). There are more faults, but I can't think of them right now.
Go with the Malata.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
Since when were Pioneer DVD players not any good?
Go to Link Removed and try out either one of the Pioneer models they offer. The singled-disc model is a little less than $300 and the 5-disc model is about $450. Search using the keyword "multizone" and they'll show up. They're not meant to be used in the U.S., so there's there's no manufacturer's warranty, but the store offers a 90 day warranty. Not bad if you are comfortable with Pioneer products.

Tanner

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the warning Tom, I was about 5 seconds away from by the Apex. What player do you use for region 2?

JimmyP

Auditioning
Tom:
I'm also looking at the 600A and 660.
Can't a lot of those problems be cleared up with chip upgrades and proper ventilation? Seems everything I'm reading says that using the latest firmware and keeping the unit cool (sometimes as easy as not putting the unit in a rack, or just drilling a few small holes for air flow) gets the Apexes running smoothly....

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My Apex has been running just fine for a year and a half now; no problems at all other than anamorphic PAL doesn't work (this is a fault of all the Apex chips). So I'm looking at a Malata for my non-region-1 player. It seems to have everything and no drawbacks I can see.
Anyone got a set of One For All codes for these players?
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Quote: 'Since when were Pioneer DVD Players not any good'
I have a Pioneer 525 since 1999 and it works flawlessly.
Although its a R3 player but was mod chip for multi region.
It even decode RCE disc like Patriot & Hollow Man without
problems. A sure winner !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks