Best Region Free DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MichaelPR, Sep 27, 2004.

1. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

I'm currently using a Toshiba SD-1900 with the region free hack. I really like this player and bought it new for $69 a year ago. It has lately started having audio drop outs every once in awhile or will just pause for a second(not layer switches). I'm using my player with component video hooked up to my Sony Wega 27". For this television should I just stick to getting this same player again? Or should I spend some more? My main question is there a region free player that will produce better video quality on my meager 27"...I'm happy with the Toshiba but I feel that it could possibly be a little better in the video quality department. It is important that the player also be able to do PAL conversion. Well any advice would me appreciated....just keep it around $300 or lower! Thanks!

2. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I'm not familar with your TV. Is it HD? Does it have a DVI or HDMI input? If the answer to one or both is yes...then Momitsu 880 would be a good choice. If it's HD, but component input, then Momitsu or Zenith 318 with simple hack (older version) than both do upconversion is still possible through the component output.

Ron

3. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Another option, as I suspect you don't have HD set, is the Cambridge Audio 540D. Its audio is superb (IMO, of course[​IMG] ) and it is region free right out of the box (no hacks required). NTSCPAL at the touch of a button on the remote.