Best recordable dvd format for archiving data?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David_Jr, Jun 18, 2003.

1. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    My office has asked me to research dvd recordable media for archiving data. They are looking to archive data on a dvd recordable computer drive that needs to be stable for approximately 10 years. The discs will not be written to again once finalized. Which is best? DVD-R, or DVD+R, or DVD-RW, or DVD+RW? What about compatibility issues with other dvd drives? Also what about durability? Cost? A search on the topic produced no information newer than 1 1/2 years old, that's an eternity in computer years. Thanks for the help.

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Out of the choices you've listed I would choose DVD-R. Any RW disc could be accidentally erased and the '-' variety is probably going to be the greater longevity in the marketplace over the '+'. The '+' does have advantages - namely the drag-and-drop facility, but this probably wont be an important factor for you.

Realistically though, I think you need to consider that DVD may not be around in ten years' time. You may be left at the mercy of whether or not you can find a working DVD-ROM drive to recover your data. When newer formats come around it would probably be wise to refresh your backups.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I would also agree on DVD-R/W as it is a more mature format and the discs are less expensive from what I've seen on the Internet.