What's new

best recommended in-wall rated speaker wire (1 Viewer)

JBravo

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
looking for the best bang-for-the-buck in-wall rated speaker wire.

I would prefer 4 gang wire over 2 due to bi-amping.

Longest run is approx 36 feet.

I will probably need about 150 feet.

Monoprice?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just go to a local home center and get UL rated 14ga, or preferably 12ga stranded wire. There is no reason to spend more than that. Monoprice is great for hdmi, coax and similar cables, but there is no need to buy speaker wire from them. You'll just get the same thing as a home center for more money.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
A few points:

- You need CL3 or "in-wall" rated wire to conform to fire codes.

- I am not a fan of bi-amping except perhaps for high-end music systems. Trying to biamp a 5 speaker home theater system would require 10 amplifiers to try and create a balanced system. And frankly - movie soundtracks (even un-compressed BluRay audio) is not detailed enough to justify biamping. Plus - your speakers need to be music-quality/very sensitive before the effects of biamping would be heard. Most home theater speakers are NOT this sensitive.

- On the other hand - I do encourage pulling extra wire whenever possible because the wire is cheap compared to the labor.

Here is what I would do if I were you:

Go to Parts-Express.com - Speakers, Speaker Building, Home Audio and Video, Pro Audio, Electronic Parts & Accessories and buy a spool of CL3 rated speaker wire. The Carol brand is decent, but they have others if you want.

Try to get the 12 ga, or dual-conductor 16 ga.

Run 2 runs of wires to each speaker location. Put wire labels on both ends every foot. Use a simple "A1", "A2" for one speaker, "B1, B2" for the next set of wires, etc.

Run the wires through electrical outlet box's. Pull enough wires to create un-broken runs. Buy blank wall-plates and drill wires for a custom look.

Just hook up the "1" wires for now. Shove the "2" wires back into the wall. Later you can pull it out if you want to experiment with bi-wireing.

Hope this helps.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I always thought CL2 was O.K. for in-wall installations for single family, single story homes. If this is true, and it fits your application, then Monoprice offers this for $14.70 per 50 ft roll and $25.20 for 100 ft.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Fire codes vary - not only from state to state, but from town to town. There is no "one size fits all" answer to questions like this one. You always have to check the local codes when doing this kind of project.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikezerby
Recent bookmarks