Best reciever to be had at the $350 price range?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tuan Vo, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Tuan Vo

Tuan Vo Stunt Coordinator

Just another brief post to see what reciever I can get for around this price. I'm just looking for features like DTS, PL II, OSD, and HD component switching. I'm sure that most recievers would have these features. I just don't know where I'd begin. The only three recievers I know of right now so far is the Denon AVR-1804, Sony STR-DA2ES, the Harman Kardon AVR-230, and the Pioneer VSX-912. The set of speakers I'll be driving are a set of Axioms: M22ti fronts, VP100 center, and QS4 surrounds. Are there any other recievers I should look at?

2. Porter

Porter Extra

you can get a yamaha htr 5760 for that price from digitalphotoclub .com. Sorry I can't post links yet so I have to chop it up. It includes a warranty and will fufill your needs, plus the site has gotten good reviews from what I found.

good luck
    PH

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I suggest checking out the Panasonic XR series... they've been gettin pretty rave reviews claiming they sound great with digital sources due to their digital amplifiers.

4. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

i would second the Yamaha 5760. DPL2x and 7 amplified channels.

5. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Friend of mine just got the Yamaha 5760, excellent for the $!

6. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Gotta go Panny XR50. I have compared it to the HTR-5590. The Yamaha was a more solid looking receiver but the Panny has better sound, etc.

7. Mike_Mc

Mike_Mc Extra

Be careful when buying a Yammie from an unauthorized seller--Yammie will NOT honor the warranty. JR.com has the 5760 for a good price right now--and they are an authorized dealer.

8. Porter

Porter Extra

thats what I don't understand, there not listed as an authorixed dealer but it comes with a two year warranty including a warranty card to verify this. I wonder if photoclub provides the warranty on their own?

PH

9. Tuan Vo

I went out to Best Buy to look at the Yamaha HTR-5760. The price was the same as JR.com though. I do like how the Yamaha is made. Its hard to find a reciever with a clean remote now a days. How does the Yamaha stack up against Onkyo and Harman Kardon?

10. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

one thing that sealed the deal for me with the 5760 was the sound quality. the new line of yamaha's sound nothing like the last generation IMHO. very neutral and accurate sound to them.

11. Tuan Vo

How is the bass management for the Yamaha 5760?

12. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

if you find a product a a discounted rate online they are not authorized 99.9% of the time. Most manufacturers void the warranty (all product have the warranty card aka register me for junk mail you don't have to send in card)someone on my car audio board learned the hard way about some places warranties he now has sent a defective product back, and they claim he never did, and you start losing recourse (how do you complain about a guy selling from his basement and getting product through back door channels)

13. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I've never owned Onkyo, so I can't comment on that receiver brand. But, I'd like to try their 801 with a separate power amp to see how it performs.

After owning H/K before the Yamaha, I'll have to give the nod to Yamaha. I like how well the Yamaha handles what I want it to. The H/K got pretty annoying when it would "pause" between various selections while watching a DVD. The Yamaha does not exhibit this issue at all.

14. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

it is very nice IMO. you have many different freq's to choose from for your xover point, LFE volume level and you can choose which speakers reciever the LFE signal. It is defitnly able to do all I need it to do with regards to my bass setup.

15. Ray Tsui

Ray Tsui Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for Yamaha, they sound excellent. I was weened on nice sounding NAD/Rotel components for the last 10 yers and recent Yamahas are surprisingly good.

16. Andrew Laksana

Andrew Laksana Auditioning

Hello,

What is really the difference between the HTR and the RX-V series? My local goodguys store doesn't carry the HTR series. Thanks for the info.