best reciever for my speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by mark baumann, Aug 25, 2004.

1. mark baumann

mark baumann Auditioning

i currently own a sony ht in a box but i am upgrading my speakers to the fluance av-htb set and i would like to know what reciever will best power these.
    my price range is 300-350

2. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Hi Mark, No offense but IMO it would be silly to spend more on the receiver than what the speakers cost. Iv'e never heard Fluance products, but if it was me, I'd wait and keep saving for a better package.

Aaron

3. Hank VT

Hank VT Agent

To answer your question, I would look towards Onkyo or Yamaha. You may be able to get a Denon refurb for under $250. I would use the money you save to buy a subwoofer.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You can pick up a Marantz SR5300 open box for $350 from Cambridge Soundworks outlet store. Comes with full manufacturer's warranty. I bought two of them already for budget systems for friends/family. They also have the Onkyo SR501 for $273.

5. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Hey Mark, Aaron obviouisly hasnt seen any of the threads involving Fluance, but I own the SX-HTB set, they are amazing, almost mind boggeling when you think about how much I got them for.
    I dont think theres a specific reciever that will work better than other ones based on the brand of speakers you would use. So I would just go off of reviews for a decent reciever. The Denon's are really good. You can get a refurbished one at www.ecost.com. They are warrantied and Denon did the refurbs themselves. I plan on getting the Denon 3805 sometime within a year, probably around the holidays, And will use that with my Fluance's.

6. mark baumann

mark baumann Auditioning

any thoughts on the onkyo tx-sr501