Best reciever $500?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Meaux, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

I know this has been asked thousands of times, (or it should have) but I'm looking to downsize from a Adcom seperates to a 1 component setup.

Thanks

2. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

If you are stepping "down" from Adcom seperates to a $500 one box rig then you might not be that happy. In that price range I don't think there is much to compare your seperates to. Which Adcoms are you currently running? Is $500 the limit or more of a starting point [​IMG] ?

3. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

Adcom:
    gtp 550
    gfa 7000 5ch.
    gfa 555 sub
    jbl 4410's rear
    jbl 4312's front
    2 dcm 07's centers
    2 rs 12" subs w/crossovers disconnected

My preamp has lost it's dolby surround function, it dosen't seperate front and rears anymore, but in 5 channel mode it does work, it's just not "home theater" anymore. I don't want to get "taken to the cleaners" gettin it fixed. I thought maybe recievers had improved in the last 10yrs.

4. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

this is OT but where is Foley?
    i live in north bama, just wonderin where you are relative to me.

5. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

Foley is just outside of Gulf Shores!

For $500, Panasonic has a pretty good receiver that I heard with 6.1 and it sounded surprisingly good for the price. I can't remember the model number, but you should be able to find it on there website.

-Brandon

6. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

Brandon is right. Foley is one of those towns, "ya don't know where Foley is unless you're goin there". I love it here, 10 mins. from the gulf, coming from Houston, Taxes, it seems like paradise, Of course theres no such place.
    (Born in Mobile 1949 and haven't been back in 30yrs., and they have big city problems)

ROLL TIDE

7. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Not to get us too far off topic but anything feels like paradise after spending a summer in Houston. [​IMG]
    As for reciever in the $500 price range check out the Denon 1803 or maybe a Marantz 5200. If you can wait a few months most of the new models should be coming out pretty soon.
    Chris S.

8. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

I had a Denon stereo reciever about 12yrs. ago and it was a pile of crap. ($700) That experience caused me to spend $300 to get my SAE fixed, which later was stolen along with the Denon. Anyway, everything was insured which turned out to be a blessing. Maybe Denon is better than it used to be, I found mine to be "gutless" w/ weak bass. I'll have to check em' out.

9. Tony-Merit

Tony-Merit Agent

I have been looking at the Panasonic SA-HE200. I have heard it a few times and it sounds very good. The Panasonic SA-HE200 has lots of power and many features for under $500.00.

10. Dana L

Dana L Auditioning

Why not buy a good pre-amp? I got a B&K AVP 1030 on e-bay for around $350. And I've seen that one for less. I've seen some really good deals on there. Or you can try AudigoN. You have eveything you need! Your really gonna go down in quality if you buy an AVR!

11. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

I guess I'd better get the Adcom fixed, any sugestions?

12. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

This is what I suggest. I would look at the new Elite receivers, the 41tx or 43tx if you could swing it. Also check out your local shops for last years close out models. The dealers want to move their old stuff so you should be able to steal a 33tx, 35tx, or 37tx. I was running an Adcom GFA-555 plus a GFA-6000 and using my 35tx as a pre-amp for a great 7.1 setup.

13. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

HK 320 (for around $500) hooked to your adcom 7000 should sound sweeeeeeeeet for HT and music.