Best Receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Olivier_M, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Olivier_M

Olivier_M Auditioning

I'm currently in the process of choosing a new AV receiver (Entry level) to replace my old DPL only one. From what I've found in retailers nearby, my choices are:

Kenwood KRF-V7050D

Yamaha RX-V520

and Pioneer VSX-D710

I'm currently leaning towards the Kenwood because it's the only one with a DPL2 decoder. All receivers are about 350-400$ retail but I'm pretty sure I can drag them down a bit.

My questions are:

Which one to choose?

What speakers can I pair it with?

Regards,

Olivier_M

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

the new yamaha rx-v530, 430, 630 and 730 should be coming out in march. they all feature DPLII. You also might want to check out the marantz sr-4200 and the lower end onkyos. i'm in the same situation as you and i'm probably going to end up with the rx-v530.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you are going Yamaha, you should ask around for info on pairing it up with your particular speakers, as Yamaha is often described as bright. When teaming a bright receiver with bright speakers, results can be displeasing.

A friend of mine bought a higher end Yammie, and over 2 years of trying to be happy with it, he got rid of it because he didn't like the way it sounded. I don't think his replacement was a step up (DA3ES), but he wanted Sony because all of his other gear is Sony. He seems to be happy now.

I personally don't like the lower end Kenwoods or Pioneers. I would take a look at Marantz SR4200, Denon 1602 or 1802 or Onkyo TX-DS494. These are proven performers in this price range.

4. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Wait a few weeks and get one of the two new Onkyo's that are coming out. You'll get 6 amped channels, and 6.1 decoding in the $400 price range. Also, Onkyo is good for entry level because they are relatively easy to use.

5. Olivier_M

Olivier_M Auditioning

I'll add the marantz to my list, but unfortunately, here, in France, the Onkyos and Denons are most definitely NOT in my price range (brand recognition perhaps).[​IMG]
    Anyway, I think I'll wait till the end of march, and use the time listening to every receiver with different sets of speakers.
    BTW, john, is there any reason why you don't like Pioneers and Kenwoods low enders?

6. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Two questions guys?
    1. I saw the post above this one on watts, and they said that thx certifictaion rates power with all channels driven. Is this true? If so everyone should buy a thx certified rcvr.
    2. Don't you get tired of doing everything 3 times. They changed the forum and then our stuff got dumped.[​IMG] [​IMG]