Best receiver under $800?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by flenn, Apr 29, 2002.

1. flenn

flenn Agent

I'll make this brief. Lightning took out my HK AVR65 last night and I'll be needing a replacement. I've been out of the HT loop for a couple of years and know that there have been some new features that I've been missing. I'd just like to get some suggestions as to what receivers I should consider as a replacement in the $500 - $800 price range. FYI, I have an HK PA5800 5 channel amp that I can use, rather than only having to consider a receiver with 7 amps built-in. Thanks for your help.

2. Joseph_Mikhail

Joseph_Mikhail Stunt Coordinator

I have a HK520 and I love it. I also have a HK PA4000 and they work really well together.

BTW have you figured out how to change the maximum turn-on volume on your amp. I've tried everything.

3. Ritesh_M

Ritesh_M Extra

since you already have a 5 channel amp. You would be better off just getting a processor. Go straight to separates. Either a used one or the Outlaw...

4. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Love My HK 320.

5. prashanth_sharma

6. flenn

flenn Agent

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming.

I was thinking a receiver over a pre/pro because the PA5800 is only 5 channels. I'd like to be able to take advantage of this upgrade and go to 7 channels.

Right now, I have the PA5800 biamping my mains, and the 5th channel runs the center. The AVR65 ran only the surrounds. I'm thinking that I'll use the PA5800 the same way, and use the new receiver to run the existing and additional surrounds. Thoughts?

7. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

I'd say, if you like the HK sound, you should reqally consider the AVR 520 which can be had for 650 shipped. It will do 7.1 with an external amp and Im sure it will match your PA 5800 quite well.

It also has allthe bells and whistles except for DD-EX but it has Logic 7 so your good to go.

I would definitely consider this receiver.

Angelo

8. Greer_R

Greer_R Agent

I have my SR700 pre ordered for 711 after freight.

-Greer

9. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

10. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Warning about the 520...Logic 7 isn't applied to 5.1 sources so the lack of DD-EX is a big minus in my book. I am definitely regretting my 520 purchase with so few DTS-ES titles to watch. You could do a homebrew DD-EX concoction with an old Pro Logic receiver, but it wouldn't be the same.

11. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Sony 5es, denon 3802, HK 520 and yamaha 2200[​IMG]

12. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Don't make the same mistake I did!

Go with the pre/pro! Even if you only run 5 channels for a while. The sound difference is outstanding! I have the Outlaw 1050. I do love it. Consider it. But I will upgrade when I have the chance. I too have a 5 channel amp. I would buy the Outlaw 950 in a heart beat if I were you or consider another pre. Please don't make the same mistake I did. 6 or 7 channels sound great but as a previous post mentioned not, that many movies take advantage of it. My 6th channel is nice. But I would like Dolby proII. My $.02

13. flenn

flenn Agent

This talk of a pre/pro has gotten my interest (here we go...). Here's a question; just how much better is the sound of a pre/pro (like the Outlaw 950) compared to a $600-$800 receiver used as a pre/pro? Do the electronics make that much of a difference? Has anyone used the same amp and switched from a receiver used as a pre/pro and an actual pre/pro? I might have to start a new thread if this turns into a possibility.

14. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Flenn,
    You now opened a can of worms! You are going to get a million opionions. The 950 (despite the delivery issues [​IMG]
    ) has gotten great reviews here on thi forum. Look for the threads. There are thousands of replies. For under $1000 you cannot go wrong. Also you can always upgrade seperates later on. I think most "true" audiophiles believe in seperates. The 950 has the top DA converters and others software that seperates it from the Kenwoods, Dennnon, Yamies etc. out there. I believe you need to compare the 950 to the MC1 or Krell, Anthem etc. etc. I even heard someone compare is to the new Lex mc10. Do some research. They have a money back gurantee. Also keep in mind what speakers you are running? How sensitive are they? How much power do you need? I have hear so-so speakers sound much better with proper amplification.
    Just my $.02 again