Best Receiver under $400?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KennyG, Dec 13, 2003.

1. KennyG

KennyG Extra

Hello. It is time to update my system from my Sony STR DE 425 that I purchased about 5 years ago (along with my Panasonic DVD A110). I think I'm going to go for a budget DVD player in the sub-$200 category, but where should I look for a nice receiver?

I've read some good things about the Pioneer 912, Onkyo TX SR501. How is the Kenwood VR7070 (might be just a bit too expensive). Denons are probably out of my price range right? What do you suggest?

Thanks!

2. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I can't honestly say it's the best because I haven't heard the other receivers in question, but I'm very happy with the Onkyo TX SR-501. It sounds very nice for the money.

3. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Check out the new Yamaha models too (RXV540 etc). They are 6.1, decent amp designs and I'm impressed with the way they sound. They must have upped the current in the power supply from the old series. Very impressive damping factor for the price too.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Harman/Kardon AVR-125. It's gonna have everything you want as an entry-level reciever minus component video switching.

If you want a reciever thats going to do it all take a look at the HK AVR-325.

www.onecall.com has the 325 and www.soundcity.com for the AVR-125.

Good luck.

5. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

6. JeffPhill

JeffPhill Agent

I have the Denon 1804 and have been quite pleased with it. $350 shipped from 6ave.

7. KennyG

KennyG Extra

JeffPhill, I just went to 6ave and it says the 1804 is $499. How did you get it for $350?

I'm looking to add a Receiver/DVD combination. Would any of you recommend
    Kenwood 7070 (THX select) with 6050 DVD
    Denon 1804/1604 with 1200/910 DVD
    Pioneer 912 with 563 DVD or
    Onkyo TXSR501 with 501/601 DVD?

Where can the best prices be found? Thanks for the tips so far!!

8. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

Definitely the Harman Kardon AVR230. $380 shipped from www.jandr.com they are an authorized dealer.

9. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I would get the Sony DVD-players. I found them to work best with burnt media and the best with normal movies. I have found other DVD players to lack but to my suprise the Sony does incredibly good. Take a look at the DVP-425 and 725 as well. The 425 will run you about $100 and the 725 will run about $125 or so...

But I would take a very good look at the Harman/Kardon recievers. The AVR-125 is really going to be one of the best entry-level recievers you can get in terms of power and performance.

10. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

The Sony 1000ES surely is well built but I don't think you can get it for $400. I have to agree this time that the HK receivers offer better prices for great values.

11. JeffPhill

JeffPhill Agent

Without knowing about the deal, I ordered the 1803 for $350. When it arrived it was the 1804. A few others on this board have gotten the same deal. I know some have specifically asked for the deal, and they got it. You might try to call them to inquire first. I chose 6ave because they are an authorized Denon E-tailer.

12. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

If you're in a pinch, ecost.com for Denon refurbs...factory authorized...harmanaudio.com for Harman refurbs...

I lean towards the Harmans though, one because I like the sound better than Denons (YMMV, of course), and secondly because now the 230+ have a full set of preouts. I'm kicking myself because upgraditis has hit me, and my 225 doesn't have preouts...so no expandability there...it'll be a shame to have to let it go [​IMG]

13. Joseph Shaw

Joseph Shaw Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased an Onkyo TX-SR501 from ecost.com after hearing about it here. I ordered it early Tuesday morning on-line and it was delivered Friday afternoon. I'm very pleased, and for $195 to my door, it cannot be beat for price and features. It's a little underpowered by some people's standards (65w @ 8ohms), but pushing my budget system in my living room it's working quite well. It can get very loud without sounding harsh.

My only complaint is with ecost's tracking system, but the Onkyo is absolutely wonderful for such a small price. And I think the best feature of all is that while it's an entry level receiver, albeit with an impressive array of features, at this price I won't feel guilty about upgrading it later. And my wife has already been hit by upgraditis. She mentioned something about "size does matter" and "it's got to be at least 60" diagonally or it's not coming in this house." Of course it's easy to say that when you're not the one paying for it.

14. John S

John S Producer

I'd give the Onkyo SR501 hands down the best reciever with 6 amps, 6.1 processing, and component video switching that can be had with full warranty for under $200.....

I went over and watched ACDC live in Munich in DTS at my Bro-in-laws house Saturday night, the performance was really stellar. And he is usung, some really cheap Yamaha NS bookshleves with the setup. My most critical ear just could not find any difficiencies at all.

Even with his ultra bargain 12" AR powered sub either.

15. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

Another vote here for the Onkyo 501. Good features and sound along with 50Mhz component switching for $200 is very tough to beat.

16. KennyG

KennyG Extra

Well I ended up paying more than $200, but I bought the Onkyo 501 receiver in silver, and the Pioneer 563a together today from Crutchfield. With 10% off the order and $20 off the order the Onkyo 501 came to $260, and the Pioneer 563a came to $143. So for $403, hopefully I'll be pleased. Hopefully I won't have anymore DVDs that don't play or skip too much like my Panasonic A110 did, and hopefully i'll get better sound than my SOny STRDE425 was limited (only Dolby Pro Logic) to. Thanks for any input! I had to stick to a low budget this time, but hopefully in a few years I'll be able to upgrade to a nice Denon player, and a top of the line receiver.

17. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

18. JeffPhill

JeffPhill Agent

That's the same receiver that I used to use. The difference I realized was very great.

19. Ryan.S.

Ryan.S. Extra

I just got my onkyo501 this morning... I only have it hooked up to 2 cheap klh speakers and it STILL impressed me. It sounds awesome. I can't wait to get all my good speakers and get it setup correctly.