What's new

Best Receiver Under $300 (1 Viewer)

rcf22

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
While I can tell that a lot of the members here are into upper-end gear, I'm looking for a budget receiver here. It will be used to handle several analog and digital audio connections, but I have no components using HDMI, so video processing and HDMI capability is not important to me, but I would like to get the best audio quality I can for under $300. I will be powering a set of Klipsch F1 speakers and plan on adding surround speakers and a center channel in the future for a 5.1 set-up, so here is what is important to me:

-Sound Quality (low S-N ratio, distortion, etc.)
-100W / ch @ 8 Ohms (to drive the power hungry floor speakers)
-5.1 Support

Beyond that, all features are simply bonuses for me (HDMI, video upconversion, etc.). I've gotten a few recommendations for the Pioneer VRX-817, Panasonic SA-XR55, and have browsed the Onkyo SR-505. I really like the Onkyo except for the fact that it only puts out 75W/ch. Would this still be able to drive my floor speakers adaquately, or should I look elsewhere?

Any recommendations are appreciated. $300 is a set maximum, by the way.

rcf22

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
I forget to mention that the speakers can handle up to 100W of continuous power, and I'd like to not have my receiver has the bottleneck in my system, but if the Onkyo's rating of 75W is low, then I wouldn't worry about it. What I'd like to know, is if that rating is accurate, or on the modest side.

yabadabadoo

Auditioning
Real Name
Avi
If you could manage to spend an extra 50-60 bucks, I would recommend Onkyo TX SR605S which is on sale in CC! Heard great reviews on this receiver!

DISCLAIMER: I am just a newbie!

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Ryan,

Onkyo, Denon and Harman Kardon usually rates their components on the modest side.

rcf22

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
I went ahead and ordered the TX-SR505, thanks for the information, guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks