Auditioning
Real Name
cole
i know that doesnt leave a lot of room due to price but this is what i need
-5.1 channel
-xbox360 surround sound (for gaming)
-and the calibration if possible for room setup
i would like it to be the cheapest but most ideal for
an energy take 5 system http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269004
bic f12 sub http://www.bicamericaf12.net
also what would i need to install this stuff? like speaker wires generic?
hdmi cables? etc? what would it take to make the 360 surround sound ?
sorry for the dumb questions im very new to home theater

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
If you don't mind refurbs, check out accessories4less.com. They all have 1 year warranties. They have Denon and Onkyo 5.1 receivers under $200, starting at $109.

stxdeadI

Auditioning
Real Name
cole
no i dont mind refurbished, how would i know which ones have auto callibration feature with the mic? im looking and none of them say it

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are(last I looked) only 7 AVR at A4L under $200. Since they are all Denon and Onkyo, the only room correction they are going to have available is Audyssey.
Out of those 7, I know two of them don't...at least 2 do. Read the descriptions...
http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php
Edit:
Throwing you a bone.
HTR590
AVR591

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Sam and I are doing all the work for you. :)
Here's a great deal on a new receiver. Walmart.com has the Onkyo RC430 for $159.
UPDATE: I just noticed the RC430 doesn't have the Speaker Calibration feature.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
stxdeadI said:
/t/326178/best-receiver-under-200#post_4016128
That would depend on...
The room you have.
The speakers you got.
Where you choose to put those speakers.
To expand a little further, when it comes to in-wall speakers, your placement options become limited (you're forced to place them between the studs). The stud locations may make symmetric placement of the mains/center impossible. For your surround speakers (on the side walls), the speakers may wind up at slightly different "depths" when measured from the front of the room to the back.

In an ideal situation, you would be able to follow these sorts of guidelines for speaker placement. Of course, nothing in life is ever "ideal" so we're forced to make compromises here and there (and in-walls inherently require a few more compromises when compared to standalone speakers, just as in-ceiling speakers for fronts require even more extreme compromises [performance-wise in particular] than in-walls).

Setup and calibration utilities such as Audyssey can be very good at helping to overcome some of these compromises, particularly when it comes to placement. Varying speaker distances can be corrected for, as well as properly setting the levels to provide a uniform sound field. Audyssey can also help to combat odd acoustics that may or may not be present in your room (you won't know for sure until you install the speakers in their final spots).

IMO, setup utilities are a nearly a must have even if you have standalone speakers and ultimate placement flexibility. Since you're already sacrificing some of that, I would recommend not considering a receiver unless it has some sort of configuration utility. If that means waiting another few weeks or month to save up some extra cash, I would do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks