What's new

Best receiver under $1000? (1 Viewer)

Tony-Merit

Agent
I am looking to get a new receiver with my tax return. My budget is no more than a $1000 dollars. I am looking for a reviver to match my front’s pair of JBL S312 II and the JBL Studio series II center channel. It will be used for 70% music and 30 % home theater. I thought about maybe a Panasonic SA-HE200 and use rest of the money and get a pair of back speakers. I was also looking at a Harman Kardon receiver. I am not sure what would sound best for music but still do a good job in HT and match my JBL’s. Any suggestion, comment or opinions will be appreciated.

Thank You,
Tony

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Tony:

If you search this board, you will find many threads along the lines of 'best receiver under $_____.' But, since you've asked, allow me to recommend the Sony 4ES, a remarkable piece which you'll find under $700 on-line, as mentioned in other threads.

Very solid music performance, and outstanding theater performance, good build quality, 7-channels of amplification, 2 sets of multichannel inputs and a 5-year warranty. I use one with the JBL N-series, and I'm sure it will make the S-series sing. The only piece I've owned which I like more is an NAD receiver from several years back.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I think you need to make a list of what you want out of the receiver...then do some research on this forum to get your answers.

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
For under a 1000 bucks, there are just too many good receivers to pick the "best." It's all subjective. To my ears, Harman Kardon and Denon provide more of a warm sound, (which I like) while Marantz, Yamaha, and Sony have more tonal impact. You need to try em out and see for yourself. I don't think you can pick one that is "superior" to the other.

Tony-Merit

Agent
Thanks for the comments guy's. I have heard people refer to the Harman Kardon as warm sounding but I am not sure what that means. I was looking at the HK 525, it has the features I am looking for. I have not had a chance to listen to it yet. I will also give a Sony a listen to. I want something that will match well with my JBL.

Tony

John Carson

Agent
Well, I am relatively new here, BUT a long time enthusiest.

I picked up the Harman Kardon 520 recently ($525 SHIPPED! at onecall.com) It RULES ALL! I am SO impressed with the sound, and I am only using it with a Sony SA-VE 525 speaker set. I am currently looking for a good set of speakers.

This receiver is amazing. The difference in the 520 and the 525 is a: less watts on the 525, BUT powered rear surrounds, whereas the 520 is merely a 5.1 receiver with preouts for 6/7.1. I HIGHLY Reccomend either of these.

If you are a music fan, HDCD is SOOOOO clear. Sounds like people are in the room. I cant say enough about the clarity of this.

Movie fan? Incredible as well. For reference, my previous receiver was an Onkyo 50 watts/channel 5.1.

DONT pass on HK. Their service is TOP NOTCH too. Before I bought it from onecall, I bought an openbox from Circuit city. The remote was screwy, so I emailed HK. They immediately sent out another remote. Try and get that from Sony.. :)

Good luck.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I think the best options you have are
HARMAN KARDON AVR525
MARANTZ SR7300 (and maybe if you can hold a little OSE)

I think both have very similar sounds, and for me Marantz still has the edge on the musical side. But this is only my opinion, try to audition both and decide for your self.

My current setup is: Marantz SR6200 with four JBL S26 and an S center with a SVS 25-31PCi, and for me it is a very good setup. The speakers are a little bright but pair marantz warmer sound is a great match.

Hope this helps,

CurtisC

Second Unit
For under 1k is there a unit that has ALL the features/capability of the Denon 3803? including 8ch in 10 out,192/24,if so check it out.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I believe the Sony 4ES has all of the features of the 3803 except the 192/24. The flagship Sony DA7ES lacks 192/24 as well, so I question it's importance, especially since there are VERY few 96/24 titles out there, which makes me believe that 192/24 material is even more scarce.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
For under 1k is there a unit that has ALL the features/capability of the Denon 3803? including 8ch in 10 out,192/24,if so check it out.
Yea...the Denon 3803 if you ask around a bit for a decent price. I paid under $1000 for mine.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Jamey,CORRECT! if you need cutting edge technology for dvd audio etc..I have several disk that are 192/24 in stereo mode.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
But Curtis thats DVD-A since that is output through analog there is no need for a 192/24 dac in the receiver, its useless hardware. and well since there is no digital input for DVD-A its not like you are future proofing, unless we are lucky enough to get them to use optical or coaxial.... actually i dont even knwo if it can.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Hi John,are you saying I have no need or will never need,24bit/192khz A/D conversion BURR/BROWN 1084 on all analog inputs?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I could be wrong, but i see no obvious reason why you would. think about it you have to send a digital signal that is 24/192 to the dac to be decoded.

maybe that kind of DAC can do some upsampling I really dont know. but on the surface I would say no.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered my 4ES yesterday from Sammans. $619 delivered to FL, a sensational deal IMHO! Note that it was a pleasure dealing with the company, which I think is unusual when dealing with a NY/NJ company!

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
I agree with John, unless you have a pioneer or denon that has the digital link and a dvd player that does it, you will not use the 192/24 dacs on your receiver.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks