What's new

Best receiver to use as a pre/pro?? (1 Viewer)

Tim_J_M

Agent
Looking for the best option under $750 to use as a pre/pro. I cant see paying 3 times more for a dedicated pre/pro when a receiver should work just fine. Dont get me wrong, Id go with a dedicated pre/pro if I could find one under $750. From what Ive heard even most receivers do a better job at being a pre/pro than the "budget" dedicated pre/pro Outlaw 950.

Im looking for something that has a great 2 channel sound as well as HT and 7.1 is a plus but not a requirement.

So far Im leaning heavily towards a Marantz 7200 from ac4l.com

Jonathan M

Second Unit
One thing to consider is that within a product range, the actual processing/preamp ability (and sound quality) may not change between models. I would compare the lower models 4200/5200/6200 with the 7200 to see how the sound quality from the pre-outs compares. Ofcourse, the the higher models may have more features which may be worth the increase in price. Most increases in price are due to things such as extra amps, extra inputs/outputs, larger power supply, (For the extra amps), better remote etc. - most of which may not make a difference for your purposes.

Price and quality do not necessarily correlate. There's little point paying more money when you don't have to!

Cheers
Jonathan

Tim_J_M

Agent
The 7200 was the first one to jump to component switching and 7 channel capabilities. Thats why I didnt look any higher. What I may do is wait and see how the new Marantz 7300 and HK 525 compare. The HK 320 I have now has no true 2 channel bypass which is my biggest complaint with the unit. The 525 and new 325 are supposed to add this Ive heard and ofcourse the Marantz offers it.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks