What's new

Best receiver to match my Klipsch speakers for around $500? (1 Viewer)

ChristianS

Grip
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a complete set of Klipsch speakers from the place with the big yellow sign. I know its not the best place in the world, but my wife works there so we got a great deal. The room is approximately 15' x 15' and the current setup is this:

Fronts -- Klipsch SF2's
Center -- Klipsch SC1
Surrounds -- Klipsch SS1's
Sub -- JBL PSW1000
Receiver -- Yamaha 5460

I am quite pleased with the Klipsch speakers, however the combination of the speakers with the Yammie receiver is yielding a bit bright of a sound field. I have been looking to upgrade the receiver to either 6.1 or 7.1, but would like some advice on which one will best match my current speaker setup. It will be used primarily for television viewing and movies, with some music mixed in from time to time. Our budget is around $500 and I am willing to look online or in a store. I would like a new or slightly used receiver, but do not want a refurb (I've had too many problems in the past). The receiver must have at least 2 (preferrably 3) optical ins on the back. Also, I would prefer to have preouts so that I can add an amp at a later time. Video switching is not important to me as I use the receiver to control the audio while the television controls the video. Finally, the receiver must have enough power to fill the room and still have some left over in case it is placed in a larger room.

I've heard that Denon, HK and the Pioneer Elites make a good match with Klipsch, but am lost as to which one will be best, especially given the budget. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I currently own Klipsch speakers myself and tried many different recievers before I chose to buy my Harman/Kardon. For the price, the features on the HK are just unbelieveable and ontop of that it delivers much more power than any other. Unfortunatly HK is not sold at Bestbuy. :-( I would take a look at HK though, the AVR-225 is a great reciever and you will be amazed at how much better your Klipsch speakers will sound on a more neutral reciever compared to an overly bright Yamaha.

www.soundcity.com has the AVR-225 refurb for $240, go take a look. Also, don't be fooled by the wattage on the HK recievers, those are TRUE values and are usually under-rated. Yamaha might rate a reciever at 100watts but until you hit there 4digit models (1400, 2400, etc) you won't get more than perhaps 38-40watts out of each channel.

Hope this helps!

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I know what you mean. I had Athenas hooked up to a Yamaha and the bright/bright combo drove me up the wall. Got myself a Pioneer Elite, problem solved. The sound now is very tame, a huge overall improvement. Pioneer just came out with new models, so you might find a few 43TXes kicking around at heavily discounted prices. (Be warned though, the 41TX isn't really worthy of an Elite badge, the real Elites start with the 43). The Elites have a nice slightly warm sound, good solid amps for 7 channels, excellent DACs, pre-outs for all channels, a nice array of available inputs, various calibration options and MCACC (althogh not automatic on the 43), and a nice black aluminum finished front complete with THX logo. Even if it does stretch you beyond what you wanted to spend, these things are a worthwhile investment. Remember that your receiver is the heart of your HT system.

And with regards to what Chris said, a Sound and Vision test of a Yamaha receiver rated at 75W showed that it actually put out 38W with 5 channels driven. Granted the Klipsches are very efficient speakers, but you really want the headroom the Elites or H/Ks will give you.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Yamaha fine avr but WOW,bright with Klipsch is an understatement.I have a 5550 in my bdrm w/polk and its still bright.I have a Denon 3803 with rf7's in my den and its a very good match.

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Yamaha and Klipsch does not seem to be a favorable match with "most models".

Consider an Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX. The 43 can be had on Ebay or Etronics for under $500.

You can also get the Denon 2803 for $557 at Etronics.

The newer Yamaha 1400/2400 are suppose to have a little bit warmer sound than the 1300/2300 models as well so it would match up better with your Klipsch speakers than previous Yamaha models. The 1400 is also a very nice receiver and is $588 at Etronics. This has a ton of features for the price.

Goodluck

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Although, I tend to lean towards H/K for most cases - I think the Denon AVR-2803 would be a good driver for the Klipsch speakers. If you can, see if you can spend some time listening to this "combo" at your dealer.

Yogi

Screenwriter
My vote would go for a HK or a Marantz. They would mate very well with your Klipsch, plus you dont need a lot of power to drive them so any entry level model would be sufficient power wise.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Christian,

sorry, OT. may I PM you regarding the JBL subwoofer am considering buying a used unit

thanks

I have heard the same receivers sound good with klipsch also. I would have to agree that H/K would be the best for the money, I can't make up my mind as to which one i am going to buy to replace my aging Yammie. RX-V 2090. (top of the line receiver that ran 1995-1997)Bought mine in 1997. i am also considering marantz and onkyo.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'd give the Pioneer 1015 a shot with it, at that budget point, or even a 1014 if you want to save some money.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I had a 1014 with my RF7s and it was a pretty decent match. Currently using an Onkyo digital receiver and it's still a pretty good match. I'm thinking of moving back to a 1015 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks