Best receiver or seperates for under $3000 used?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StanleyW, Dec 17, 2002.

1. StanleyW

StanleyW Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for a new setup in this price range preferably closer to the $2000 range. I currently have a Harman Kardon AVR 310 and an Audio Refinement Complete amp for 2 channel listening. I will be getting rid of both units to finance the new setup. They will be running a pair of Nautilus 805s as mains, a CC6 center, and a pair of 601S2 surrounds.

I am sure an setup in this price range will be an improvement over my HK. Not that there is anything wrong with my HK . It is the best receiver you can get for $320 imho, but it is time to take the next step. However, I am worry about my 2 channel performance. I am not sure if there is a HT setup in this price range that can match my AR Complete for music. But I am ready to sacriface some stero performance for my HT since I spend more time watching movies and playing video games then listening to music.

I just heard a friend's Sunfire setup and it was amazing. He had a Grand III pre/pro and a Grand Series 2 425x5 amp. Unfortunately it is out of my price range. But I might be able to get the older models used. What do you guys here think of Sunfire? I am also thinking about a B&K receiver, either the 300 or 500 series. Is there a big difference between the two? I know that the Outlaw and Rotel setups are very popular here. How do all of these and others like Anthem and Denon compare?

Thanks in advance.

2. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

Since you like the Audio Refinement why not stay with it. I've had nothing but good experiences with the Audio Refinement stuff I've been around in the past, and that has been a good bit too. I would keep your AR Complete 2 channel amp, add a AR Pre-2 DSP pre/pro (retail $1395) and an AR Mutli 3, 3 channel amp (not sure of price). This would be a huge improvement over your current setup and still allow you to keep some of your current equipment you like and are familiar with.
    Check out the Audio Refinement stuff on this webpage, it is their North American distributor and is better than their own home page.
    www.audioplusservices.com
    Good Luck,
    Brandon

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Used, I think if you looked into it you could come up with a Parasound 2205 & a Lexicon DC1. For a bit less you could go with a 1205.