What's new

Best Receiver in the $300 - $500 range (1 Viewer)

Troy_Hough

Auditioning
My stereo receiver died last night. I was looking at replacing it with either the Sony STR-DE875 or 975. I need S-Video ins / out and that's about it. All of my other components are Sony.
If I could get a good deal on the STR-DB1070 I may go w/ this unit...
Any opinions / input is appreciated :)
- Troy

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
NOOOOOOOOOO!!

You came to the right place. I started out with Sony many years ago, and I have been enlightened. ANYTHING in the DE series is a waste of time. Personally, I think the DB line is not much better, but for the same price or less, you can get a MUCH, MUCH better receiver. I listened to my friend's DB940 and it sounded exactly the same as my 6 yr old DE815, with the exception that the DB had much more clean power (that's the only real difference between the DE- and DB- line) If you must have Sony, then your only choice is the ES line, and you can get good stuff for less.

Take a look at Marantz, Onkyo, Denon, or Harmon Kardon.

Marantz - SR5200 or 6200 The 6200 has basically every feature of the DB1070 has and sounds much better, and cost LESS. (I have the 6200 and am very happy with it)

Onkyo - TX-DS494 or -595. Both great receivers.

Denon - 1802 or 2802. 2802 might be a bit more, but it will be worth it.

HK - AVR320 or -420

Some of the higher models may be a bit more than $500, but should be able to be found for $600 or so.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Yamaha RXV620 is the best, most powerful budget receiver in that range. You get 100x5, component switching, tons of DSP's, enough inputs for everything you will ever buy.

If you want to go with an equal of another brand it would cost you at least $2-300 more. If you don't mind spending more, go with the denon. It has a nice warm sound and is an excellent receiver. But to get the same features as the Yamaha, you will spend the extra $200-$300. Same with Marantz, HK, and the others.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
For a hair over $500 you can get the Denon 2802(which John mentioned). It is 90watts X6 and has DTS es-discreet as well as DD EX capable. Plenty of inputs and outputs and excellent HT and music performance for a great price. IMO it is the best deal in your price range(well, maybe just a bit over but worth the stretch). Good luck.

Troy_Hough

Auditioning
Thank you all for the replies. It is well appreciated. I will debate my options and post what I decide. If anyone has anything else to offer, don't hesitate to add your comments :)
- Troy

Jin E

Second Unit
If you like Marantz (which... is never a bad choice) check out accessories4less. You can pick up a SR5200 for $399+ shipping (refurbished). DTS/DD/6.1/PLII.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
5200 does not have 6.1 power. That is only the 6200 and up. That is, the 5200 will decode, but only has 5 channels of amplification, while the 6200 and 7200 have 6 channels.

I'm not a fan of Yamaha. DSPs for days is not a good thing. Totally unnecessary in my mind. I like their most expensive stuff, but I don't feel their lower end stuff is the best choice, thus I didn't mention them.

Denon does excellent HT. I chose Marantz because it has the best music performance of those mentioned, without question.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
I think the Denon 1602 would fit your requirements. I have the 1601 and am very happy with it. (1602 adds an extra 10 watts per channel and DPLII)
If you can still pick up a 1601, i would recommend it.

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
5200 does not have 6.1 power.
While it of course does not have power for a subwoofer it does provide 85WRMS into 6 channels.

The other link above ($399) is for a refurb.

I am curious though as how this reciever performs at a 4 ohm load.

I was planning on purchasing the Onkyo 595. It has PLII, DTS, and DD. I however like the idea of getting the Marantz for almost the same price and having 6 channels of power.

Which is the better reciever?

PhilWang

Auditioning
Troy,
For under $500, you can get the Outlaw 1050 Receiver. While it doesn't have DPL2 or discrete 6.1 surround, it DOES handle S-video switching. At this price point, it also has decent bass management, sounds great and is solidly constructed. It is available direct from www.outlawaudio.com.
Good luck in your purchase,
Phil
:)

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Generally, the best receivers in this range consist of:

Yamaha RX-V520

Onkyo TX-DS595

Denon AVR-1802 or 2801

Outlaw 1050

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For $300 - $500 retail, some options are:

- Onkyo 494 & 595

- Kenwood VR-505 through -509

- Yamaha line

If you prefer to spend closer to $300-$400, I suggest looking at the Kenwood receivers. They are have an excellent feature set for the price. I think front-panel design and remote are nicer than the Onkyo 494 and low-end Denon. They've also gotten some good reviews, and are reported to sound good, for their price class.

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
Having owned a Kenwood I would have to say don't buy any model lower than the 510, which is THX Select, the other models just don't come to bat when compared to Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz or Denon.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Having owned a Kenwood I would have to say don't buy any model lower than the 510, which is THX Select, the other models just don't come to bat when compared to Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz or Denon.
When we are talking the kind of money Troy wants to spend, Kenwood can more than keep up with the Budget receivers you mentioned. In this price range they are all comparable.

The 505 - 510 all utilize Kam 1 amplifier circuitry, which would make the 510 only slightly better than the 509 because of the extra 10 watts per channel. So soundwise All the budget Kenwoods sound similar.And in my opinion sound as good as or better than the budget receivers you mentioned.

My 407 sure "comes to bat", and yes I do have experience with all aforementioned receivers.

I can't stand when people bag on the Kenwoods with no information to back it up.

What is your basis for this put down? What? You owned a budget Kenwood and your new budget Yamaha blows it away? I don't buy it. Lets have some reasons and model numbers so we can qualify your "come to bat" statement.

I never put down a receiver or any equipment unless I have some solid information to back up my put down!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
If you prefer to spend closer to $300-$400, I suggest looking at the Kenwood receivers. They are have an excellent feature set for the price. I think front-panel design and remote are nicer than the Onkyo 494 and low-end Denon. They've also gotten some good reviews, and are reported to sound good, for their price class.
Now here's some useful info, at least theres some reasons why we should look at the Kenwoods.

And yes the Kenwoods consistently get great reviews and are called "The best of the budgets" by many popular HT magazines and online review sites! They have plenty of power, sound clean and are loaded with inputs and all the latest decoding technology i.e. DPL2, dts, 5.1 circle surround, etc.

If you want to know the truth a new Kenwood is practically, if not completely unbeatable in this price range! IMO and in many other qualified persons opinions!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i'd stay away from Kenwood in this price range. the Marantz line is excellent and the 6200 would do you wonders! also look at the Outlaw 1050 and the Yamaha/Denon line. trust me and go with one of these four.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
i'd stay away from Kenwood in this price range
Why?
I think Kenwood excels in this price range, what does the Marantz have that the Kenwood doesn't? What do any of these have that Kenwood doesn't?
Heck, you can get a fully(and I do mean fully) loaded 509 for $250 or less.
Marantz is great but can you get a similarly equipped Marantz for $250? I don't think so.
I have seen the $250 Denon's and you don't want those.
And the Onkyo 494 is not as flexible (delay settings, etc.)
Outlaw is $499, but probably worth it.
And the cheaper Yamahas are way bright, this is almost legend.
In this price range they are all made in Malaysia (except Outlaw) all have Mosfet amps, all spec out similar.....
C'mon shed some light for us Thomas. Why would YOU stay away from the Kenwood?
Well Thomas, at least we agree on the NSP-1 huh?:) Which goes nicely with the Kenwoods I might add.

Will C

Auditioning
There are two things you really ought to do

a. decide what you are going to listen to through it. Ie are you going to use it solely for movies or are you going to listen to music as well?

b. Make sure you listen to anything you might buy first - other people won't necessarily like what you like.

I went and listened this week to three receivers this week - and took a representative sample of what people listen to in our house (this includes AAD recorded CD's and one or two "awkward" DVD's - stereo only Pride and Prejudice etc).

The receivers that I listened to were Yamaha RX-V620, Marantz 6200, Denon 1802. The DVD player was a Marantz 4100 OSE and the speakers KEF 2005 sub/sat system.

The Yamaha goes loud easily and was good with films. But no PLII (not an issue for me - maybe for others). There was a definite hiss coming through the speakers (which since I was looking to replace another receiver with hiss made this a no-no).

The store had real problems getting the Marantz up and running. When up and running it sounded good (I went to another shop to see the Marantz 5200 and I was much more impressed so may be the way they set up etc was just plain naff). The 5200 has 6.1 and PLII, the remote isn't that bad - and looks MUCH better than the 6200.

The Denon 1802 was smooth. It had the least amount of surround hiss and their Matrix DSP mode for stereo material is cool.

I am now trying to decide between Denon and Marantz. With both you have to turn the volume control round much further to get louder than the Yamaha which feels strange. Both have good musicallity (is that a word!?!).

Have fun looking.

Rgds

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks