Best receiver for under $800?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by bradLandel, May 12, 2005.

1. bradLandel

bradLandel Auditioning

I am putting together a home theater system finally and need to know what the best receiver I can get for under $800. I have infinity primus 360 front speakers, 160 surrounds, C25 center and a PS-12 sub. Thanks in advance.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Pioneer Elite 54TX should be one of the receivers on your list to consider. The Primus speakers are probably a bit bright - and the more neutral Pioneer will match good with them.

3. John S

John S Producer

Difficult to say...

What do you think will be more important to you?

Power? (Most agree you can never have to much)
    Pre/Pro Section - (7.1?, 6.1?, 5.1?) Extra features on Base Management? Hi-Res/MultiCh music? Percentage of Music to Video use? Video handling features?
    Build Quality

Really hard to say a best. The $800 area will get you into a lot of AVR's.

On paper the Yamaha 5890 looks quite remarkable. I still favor Denon AVR's in general, but an all out pre/pro section with high end video handling duties has become more attractive to me, than what I favor Denon AVR's for which is to say, I love the way their power amps handle the high end frequencies. (I hate to use audiophile drivle, but I find them to be what I call silky smooth, never harsh)

I would start by finding the highest end AVR from several manufacturers that can be had in your budget. Then try to carefully weigh the differences to my needs, wants, and desires.

Still can't go wrong with a Denon 3805 though. I seen an open box, new with full warranty H/K 7300 the other day for $900. It sold very fast. [​IMG]

4. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

What is the deal with everyone trying to pimp Pioneers on here. Im not saying they are bad but they are definatly no better than the completion in the price category ie. denon, h/k, etc. etc.

5. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

This is an interesting comment as people are are free to "pimp" whatever they want. So where are the other H?K Denon owners.
    Don't knock the Pioneer owners just cause they speak up. If the others can compete where are they?

6. John S

John S Producer

Well, favoring a line, really can't be labled as pimiping. Can it?

I just pimped Denon, so I am just as bad.

If people really like what they are using or have used. They should defiently post in for somebody asking.

I auditioned a Pioneer 1014 in my home. It wasn't for me personally, but I'd be inclined to reccomend a 1015 if his budget was lower.

7. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Whats with the hostility toward pioneer owners on this site. Im a satisfied owner of 1014 and while I have not pimped my choice of receiver I do find there is a strange hostility toward pioneer owners.

It has obviously been the hot receiver as of late, if it was anything else would there be something wrong with the XXXXX brand owners?

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Find me another receiver that features a 2-year warranty - and add the fact that the warranty can be transferred to the next owner. Pioneer provides this feature for their Elite gear.