Best Receiver for under $500?? help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Trueblood, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Mike Trueblood

I need help deciding on a Receiver. I'm looking at the Onkyo SR600 at the moment. Any opinions on this model? Can anyone compare this to the same price range HK or Denon?

Has anyone had experience with the Pioneer VSXD811S? I have found a place to get it much cheaper than the onkyo and it seems to have similar specs.

Thanks for the help
    Mike

2. Raphael O

Raphael O Stunt Coordinator

HK avr 520 at j and r =$499 plus shipping.

3. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

h&k pwns onkyo
    sorry to put it in such a childish way

onkyo is not nearly as ugly though

roadkill is not nearly as ugly

you can get the H&K avr 520 for less than $500...

rich

4. Rich Sharbaugh

Rich Sharbaugh Auditioning

Mike,
    After reading the posts about the Pioneer VSXD811S I finally made the purchase and have to say that it was well worth it. I'm using Paradigm speakers and a Panasonic CP72 DVD player with the receiver. Once everything (internal setup) is adjusted to my likings this receiver does well for the price. As far as an entry level receiver I feel that the Pioneer is the way to go. That my 2 cents...

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I did own the Onkyo TXSR600 and got it from Circuit City for $399 + tax. I loved the sound but had a problem with a couple of movies where it made my speakers pop. That never happened before with my old receiver so I returned the ONkyo and got the Pioneer 811s. For the money it is a great receiver though I think the Onkyo sounded a little cleaner.
    I really liked the onkyo but I wasn't going to chance getting a different one and having the same problems with it. If you want the cheaper route go with the Pioneer. If you want the better sound go with the Onkyo. Remember speakers do a make a difference in sound.

6. Mike Trueblood

Where are you able to get the HK520 for under $500?

I am borrowing a HK120 now from a friend and I'm not very impressed by it. The sound seems empty compared to the Onkyo SR500 I had before.

I have a great set of speakers, so I would like to fully use them by sending the best signal from the receiver. I would prefer performance over cost up to $500. Sounds like its between the hk and the onkyo now.

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

cant beat the 520 for $499. Go for it.

8. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

jandr has it for 499

i think i saw it at 6ave.com for $517 shipped or something like that, and considering that includes all taxes and shipping, that would be the same as something under $500 that didnt include those costs.

also you can try shopping.yahoo.com and search on it, i am pretty sure you can find it for under $500.

Rich

9. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Fry's had the HK 520 for $399 last weekend. Not sure if it is still on sale though. Previous price was $497 which is still a good deal.

10. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

h/k >>> onkyo

11. Mike Trueblood

Has anyone used both the Onkyo SR600 and the HK520?

Still not 100% convinced on the HK520 since it will still cost me $100 over the onkyo and I would need another amp if I want to use the 6.1.

Does anyone know what kinds of settigns there are for the sub with the HK520 or the SR600? I have built my own sub with 2 10s and a parts express 250W amp and would like to be sure I can set it up the way it should be. I'm sure these receivers have crossover settings, but what do they have for digital and LFE?

12. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

My vote is for the Denon AVR2802 @ $469....I bought mine about 5 weeks online at www.elegantaudiovideoand the product arrived in about a week, brand new "A" stock.
    Sean in Nor Cal

13. Shawn_E

Shawn_E Extra

Go with the Kenwood VR6070. It's the only THX Certified receiver I know of for $499 at Best buy. You'll be happy you bought it. [​IMG]

14. Raphael O

Raphael O Stunt Coordinator

i think the kenwood 6070 is selling at $399 at 6 ave plus shipping of course.

15. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

i believe in pioneer, plus they have really nice customer support

16. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Mike, I upgraded from an Onkyo 575X to HK520. The 575X became the 595 which became the SR600 level receiver. Even though the 575X supposedly has a better amp, than latter versions, I would say the 520 is more than worth the $100. While the sound difference was not as drastic, as it was moving from a low end Pioneer to the Onkyo, it was still better. Bass seems stronger, and highs somewhat clearer. If your use includes a good portion of music, or you listen more critically to it, I feel you will like the HK better.

Do a search here for more info on the 520 bass management. It has settings for Large (Full, 40 or 60Hz) or small (80 or 100Hz), but there is some confusion over exactly what the receiver is doing in all modes. I am sure the SR600 has better bass management over the 575X, which only had a fixed 80Hz Small crossover. Your crossover setting needs, are more set by your main speakers capability vs sub. The PE plate amp is an excellent bang-for-buck amp, IMHO.

There are a few quirky things like the remote, that I feel the Onkyo was better at, but they are minor. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

JohnS

17. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Hey Chad,

I too get those popping sounds on some movies. This is usually during the layer change. It doesn't happen too much but once in a while it will which is making me want to get a different reciever as well. The other problem is with certain films, during explosions or what have you, it sounds as if the speakers are a little blown. I turned the settings from large to small as someone on this forum suggested and it helped some. I really don't think the speakers are blown though. WIth music the reciever sounds great. I am thinking maybe it is because of the power issues, but then what do I know. In any event I may start looking for a different reciever.