Best receiver for under $400CAD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack*Mains, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone,
    I will soon be purchasing a new home theater receiver, and I am looking around for a decent receiver for about $400 canadian. There are a few Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony, Kenwoon, and Denons around where I live that I can buy locally, and many of them seem decent. One think that I would really like to have though, is at least 1 set of full preouts. Also, is it possible to have the digital cable video/audio simply route through the receiver and pass on to the tv, while having a separate CD signal amplified by the receiver and feed to the speakers. Basicly, the ability to watch tv and listen to music at the same time.

Also, all the receivers ive seen have just one subwoofer preout, while my AVA250 Plate amp has inputs for left and right channels, is it ok to simple use the LFE channel from the receiver and feed it to ether the left or the right input on the sub? I would assume that it is.

I guess my main question is what should I stay away from? Any general ideas? Thanks a lot for the input.

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Jack if you have a Best Buy near you and can afford a few hundred more they have the Kenwood Soverign VR5080 on for $799CDN. You maybe able to get it for less if you take in a copy of the EHR flyer that has it on for $744.
    http://www.easthamiltonradio.on.ca/S...Dec26_2002.pdf
    Kevin

3. Jack*Mains

Sorry Kevin, $800 is way too much. Things are pretty tight right now, so $400 is close to max that I can afford right now.

4. Jack*Mains

What are your thoughts on the Pioneer 711?

5. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I have the Panny SA-HE100 and I am very happy with it. It has DD, DTS, DD-EX, DTS-ES, and DPLII. It retails for $300US so that should be in your budget.

6. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

Jack:
    I recently picked up a Pioneer 811S for $475 CAD at my local dealer. I also saw a post from someone who picked one up from Best Buy in Toronto for $450 CAD. It is a little over your budget but well worth the extra dollars.
    The 811S is about $100 CAD more than the 711. For the extra money over the 711 you get:
    • a 6.1 capable receiver
    • Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES (and DTS Neo:6) decoding
    • a learning/multibrand remote
    • more optical inputs
    • a 7.1 input and a 6.1 preamp output
    The Panasonic SA-HE100 that Jim mentioned above is also a great value 6.1 receiver, but IMHO not quite as nice as the 811S. FutureShop recently had the SA-HE100 on for $400 CAD.
    If you are looking for more ideas check out http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com.
    Hope that helps,
    Jeff

7. John Stegman

John Stegman Auditioning

I find myself in the same situation. What I have found is that you can get a Pioneer Elite VSX-41 for $416.95, an Onkyo TX-SR600 for $378.95, a Kenwood VR-6070 (THX rated)for $404.95 and last, but not least, a Denon AVR1803 for $357.95. I know that the Onkyo and Denon are well thought of, but I haven't read much about the others.