What's new

Best receiver for under $1500 (1 Viewer)

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Currently, I am looking to eventually purchase the Denon 3805, some of the reasons include that I can use it as a 5.1 and still have the ability to set up 2 other zones in different parts of my house. I would also like something that has at least 120 watts per channel as well.

Based on either your own experience or something else, what would you recommend is the best receiver I can purchase for under $1500?

Thanks in advance

John S

Senior HTF Member
Your looking for other options? Or are you looking at Denon 3805 approval? I like the AVR very much. I'd be partial to it, if for no other reason, I'm a Denon head.

Still love'n my Denon 4802, going on 3 years now with it.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
What are your priorities? Music vs Movies etc? I take it the second zone features are a must? What speakers will you be powering? Do you have room for seperates and is that $1500 your upper limit?

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I am leaning more towards the 3805, but am willing to view other peoples opinion/experiences. I will be primarily using it for movies, tv, games. A 2nd or 3rd zone is something that I would definitely like to have as I can use them to power speakers in the backyard and garage. Currently, I am looking at the Polk RTi series.

The space is a full basement about 800 sq ft, but the speakers and tv will be in one area. If you need more info, please let me know.

The $1500 is about the most I would want to spend on the receiver.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a used B&K AVR 307. Best receiver I have ever heard. Its close to the seperates I used to have (B&K Ref 50 and Sherwood 7/2100 amp)

150 Watts per channel. Not current limited like what your looking at. Upgradable. Neutral sound.

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
Harman/Kardon AVR635 or AVR435.
Best receivers available for both music and movies for less than $1500.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
I love my 3805 but I'd trade it for a B&K with equal features in a split second. Of course a B&K with equal features of the 3805 would be well over $1500. I looked long and hard at getting a used B&K 307 off eBay but seems like it doesn't have DTS ES 6.1 (I may be wrong here but I know there was a format it lacked). I almost wish I'd have gotten it anyway tho. :b

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
The B&K 307 lacks Dolby ProLogic2 but as I use it for DVD movie watching it doesn't matter to me. B&K allows upgrades so if one wanted to it could be sent back to the factory and upgraded to the AVR507 which gives you the DTS ES and PL2, for a modest fee. In 6 months, they will even have an upgrade path to the AVR 507 series 2. Great receiver, fantastic sound, upgradable if and when you may need those features that interest you. you can get in for under the $1,500 mark and simply ugrade.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you guys, I will look into the suggestions and let you know what I decide.

If anyone else has any other suggestions they are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks