Best Receiver for under $1000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brandon Pop, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Brandon Pop

Brandon Pop Stunt Coordinator

Looking to upgrade my receiver in the near future. I currently have a 6.1 receiver but would like a 7.1 receiver with plenty of power for potential speaker upgrades as well.
    I have Paradigms all the way around.

2. Donald Wong

Donald Wong Agent

Seems like this question is asked every week.

3. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Marantz SR7400

4. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

onecall has the HK 7200 for under $800. It listed for $1800.

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

There is no best. Best is defined as what you like the most, not us. Go prowl your dealers and do some auditioning, there are just SOOO many options for under $1000. Denon, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, NAD, H/K, Onkyo.........the list goes on and on........

But asking me to tell you what receiver would be best for you. You might as well write all your options on pieces of paper and have me draw one out of a hat.

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Oh, more ideas.

If you're open to used stuff, get an inexpensive receiver to act as a preamp (I'm using a Yamaha with my Rotel, and many others on this forum are also using Yamahas as preamps) and add a 5 channel power amp, something like a Parasound, which is known to go well with Paradigms. Word is the 1205As are getting discountinued, you might find a good deal.

Or if music is a priority, Get something solid like a Pioneer Elite to act as a preamp and power your centre and rears, and add a 2 channel power amp. You could get a 43TX used for $400 and add a Parasound Halo A23 for $600. Much better combo than a $1000 receiver. Or spend more on a receiver and get an HCA1000A, which is less expensive than the Halo, but puts out the same power.