Best Receiver for Pinnacle Quantum Speakers and a 563A?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Sean~R, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Sean~R

Sean~R Auditioning

Hey all,

A great deal came my way on 6 Pinnacle Quantum Speakers and the Subsonic subwoofer, so I decided to go for it before purchasing the receiver. When I buy the 7.1 receiver, I will eventually add a 7th surround speaker to the mix. I have an average sized den (around 1800 cu. feet) with lots of furniture. I plan to put the speakers on the wall above the furniture, and the subwoofer in the corner opposite the television near the couch. Any set up suggestions?

Currently, I am considering 4 receivers in the $800 to $1100 price range. They are the:
    Harman Kardon AVR7200, Yamaha RX-V3300, Marantz SR7400, and the Pioneer Elite VSX-55txi. My DVD player is a Pioneer 563A DVD/SACD/DVD-A player, so obviously bass management is important to me. My television is a 46 inch Mitsubishi WT-46807 with separate HDTV tuner.

If anyone has any experience with Pinnacle Quantum speakers and/or the receivers I am considering, please give me advice. If you have a different receiver with the Quantum in my price range, I would much appreciate it if you could tell me what the receiver is and how it fairs with the speakers.

Also, could someone give me a recommendation as to what the best calibration method would be for my type of setup, whether it be a setup disc, a Sound Level Meter, the receiver MCACC, or another method.

Thank you for any help you can provide me with my soon to be home theater setup.

2. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

Sean:

The MCACC on the Elite will do a great job of giving you starting points for EQ, distance, size and delay. For that reason alone (unless you really like tweaking and calibrating), I like it over the other units. I have a 45tx in my bedroom HT, and it does a great job of compensating for some room anomalies.

I heard the Quantums in a dealer's showroom, and was amazed at the output of those small speakers. I wasn't as impressed with the sub, as I have become a big Hsu fan. I think the VTF-2 or new STF-2 would give you more output and extension.

Good luck with your HT...

John

3. Sean~R

Sean~R Auditioning

Thanks for the MCACC information, though I wonder how great the difference in sound quality is between an MCACC set up system and a manually set up system.

As for the Subsonic, my room is only 180 sq. feet, so I don't need as much bass as someone with triple the space might need.

Also, you really can't compare what you hear in a showroom to what you will hear in your own home.