Best receiver for me.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnHa, Nov 17, 2003.

1. JohnHa

JohnHa Agent

I'm about to build my first HT. I have another thread in speakers and subwoofers discussing the best speakers for me. I'm looking at buying a Yamaha htr-5660 receiver currently. The speakers I'm considering are the Klipsch synergies, the Paradigm Cinemas, the athena point 5s, and I've recently started looking at the ascend accoustic systems. I'm wondering what reciever would be best in the 85w rms x 6 range. Comparable to the above mentioned yamaha receiver. I've heard that yamaha receivers don't mix too well w/ klipsch speakers, they make the highs too sharp or bright. I'm wondering if this is the case w/ other speaker brands as well. If so, what speaker brands match well with what receiver brands, etc. I may not know what I'm talking about and an 85w per channel receiver may be the same as any other 85w per channel receiver, but if some receivers match with certain brands better than others, I'd like to know.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

If you search for posts that I've started, you'll come across one where I talked (rather extensively I think) about my strong disliking for an Athena+Yamaha setup (bright/bright). As you mentioned, this is also the case with Klipsch speakers and Yamaha receivers. Yamahas also don't acheive good REAL power ratings with all channels driven until you get into the higher end models. S&V reviewed an RXV-740 (I think) that advertised 75wpc and put out 38 with 5 channels driven, worse with all 6. You should look into offerings from H/K, Pioneer Elite (perhaps overkill for small speakers, but for future expandability...), Denon, Marantz, etc. You may also be able to find good deals on the discontinued NAD receivers (T742/52/62), I know that they are going for phenomenally low prices here. You might want to check out http://www.saturdayaudio.com/specials.htm, that should give you an idea of what they'll cost. In any case, decide on your speakers first, then you'll have some idea of what to drive them with.

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I agree with Drew 100%. The Yamah power ratings are false and it is a bright reciever which isn't a good idea, especially with a Klipsch setup which is already pretty bright....

I would consider a Harman/Kardon reciever for what you are looking at, since there AVR-x25 line is phasing out you can get them for a very good price which is barely ever seen... check out www.soundcity.com for the Harman/Kardon AVR-125... it is refurbished but they are authorized AND it comes with a FULL factory warranty so you are getting a great deal... not to mention that HK honors there products very well...

Good luck in your shopping.

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Drew, is the 762 discontinued already?

sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread, John

5. JohnHa

JohnHa Agent

Ok, if you bought the ascend accoustics cbm-170 package, what receiver would go nicely w/ those? An Onkyo or HK maybe?