What's new

Best receiver for Ascend Acoustic speakers ... (1 Viewer)

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I have an HK AVR-120 and am probably going to be getting a package from Ascend. Will this receiver match up good with them or should I look at a different brand. I only need 5.1 and will most likely never go to 6.1 so that's unimportant. thanks

Jason

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd say you would benefit from something with more power, but if you are happy with the sound, I'd say move up the food chain a bit, maybe a 325 or one of the new models.

It doesn't matter if it has 6.1, since nobody says you have to use it, but you DO want 6.1 (EX and ES) procesing. I have 6ch of power, but I am only running 5.1.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I almost jumped on the Denon at 6ave.com for $300 a few weeks ago. THey were sending out the 1804 for the same price. I figure I'd see what it sounds like with me Avr120 and then decide. Just wondered if anyone has something they run with their Ascend's.

Steve Q

Auditioning
I am currently using the Denon 1603 ($199 from 6ave) with my Ascend package...340s L/R/C and 200s for SL/SR. If I had to do it over I'd get something more powerful than the 1603. It's good & loud on certain movies with dts tracks (Gladiator, etc), but on some DD5.1 discs you really have to crank it.

If I were you I'd try to demo some receivers at home if possible, starting with the 1800-series or similar HK model and moving up in power until you're satisfied with the sound.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Is the overall sound withthe Denon nice? That's mainly what I'm concerned with. I don't play things at unbearable volumes. Just want good sound. thanks

J

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, I prefer Marantz and H/K in terms of sound over Denon in the lower ranges, but when you start getting to the $1500 range, all of them sound very good.

I would say go audition Denon. I auditioned the 3802 some time back, and I did not like it with music, but a friend has a 4801 (better DACs and much better amp section) and it sounds quite good.

With the Ascends, I probably would not go any lower than the H/K 325 or Denon 280x

Steve Q

Auditioning
I'd say the sound is good for what I paid for it. I agree with John that receivers of that caliber should be on your list(HK325, Denon 2803). HK is pretty easy to come by in retail stores, Fry's, etc. so you should be able to try one out. I didn't really do any comparisons...I just jumped on a good deal in order to get a complete system together. I was sort of stretching my budget anyway. I'll be doing a lot more homework before the next purchase, but at least I can enjoy my system in the meantime.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation730
Recent bookmarks