Best Receiver for a B&W 600 setup?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tony_Mas, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Tony_Mas

Tony_Mas Auditioning

Help please!

I am getting a B&W setup and need an appropriate receiver.

DM603 S3 Fronts L & R
    LCR600 S3 Center
    DM602 S3 Rears L & R

This is mainly going to be used for watching movies.

I have been thinking aboutthe following but am open to suggestions.

Yamaha RXV-2400
    Denon AVR-3803
    Rotel RSX-1055

Thanks!

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You should add the HK 7200 to that list. I'm not saying that it's better than those, but it is certainly comparable and in the same price range.

3. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Tony,

I currently have a pair of B&W 602s up front along with a LCR 600 center. Right now I am running on a Yamaha HTR 5490 receiver. I believe it is rated at 75 watts per channel. In my small apartment, the Yamaha sounds great, but I wonder about how much power it really has if I lived in a larger place. From what I read B&Ws like lots of power.

All this being said, I would focus mostly on the Rotel to pair with the B&Ws. When I listened to the pairing at the local HT store, it sounded amazing. The bottom line is just listen to all the combos you can and let your ears decide. Good luck!

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Out of those, the 1055 would be my choice. IIRC, Rotel and B&W are essentially the same company, along the lines of Anthem and Paradigm.

5. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I purchased a Rotel receiver (RSX972) with my series 2 B&W 600 speakers and have never had any regrets. Of course, the upgrade bug hits every once and a while, but that's normal [​IMG]

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I am mating my B&W 600 series speakers with a Pioneer Elite 47TX receiver and am very pleased with the combination.

7. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Rotel and B&W are not the same company, but they share the same U.S. distributor. That's one of the reasons many B&W dealers are also Rotel dealers. B&W and Classe really are the same company.
    That being said, there seems to be a general consensus that B&W and Rotel are made for each other. I believe that, since I have Rotel gear mated with my B&W HT. I would also recommend the Rotel receiver. Its 75 watts per channel is a true rating, with all channels driven.

8. Paul Spencer

Paul Spencer Stunt Coordinator

Have you considered using a receiver with pre-outs combined with a 5 channel power amp like a Rotel? This can be good value for money. Receivers try to do so much that they tend to do a less than ideal job at the power amp side of things. This approach also has a good upgrade path - start with the receiver, then add the power amps.

9. Tony_Mas

Tony_Mas Auditioning

Thanks for all the replies!

I am pretty sure I will be going with the Rotel.
    And yes Paul, I am actually considering doing that exact thing.
    I have read alot about the Rotel in combination with the B&W setup
    and the results I am finding are exactly what I'm looking for.

10. JasR

JasR Auditioning

Hi Tony,
    I have the same speaker set up as you have,
    B&W 603s3 Fronts.
    B&W LCR 600s3 Front Centre.
    B&W 602s3 rears.
    B&W ASW675 front sub.
    B&W ASW600 rear sub.
    and i am running the speakers off a Yamaha RXV630 and iam quite happy but a little more power would be good for a larger rooms i will be buying a Rotel RMB 1095 power amp soon 5 * 200watts and just use the yamaha as a preamp. So it just depends on how big your room is.

11. Tony_Mas

Tony_Mas Auditioning

That's great Jas!
    I am probably going to add the same amp to the setup a little bit down the road to give it more juice. How long have you had your setup?
    Also what's your take on the B&W subs? I'm planning on adding an SVSPB2+ to mine. I haven't really heard too much about the B&W subs.

12. Paul Spencer

Paul Spencer Stunt Coordinator

B&W seem to make very musical subs. I think they are all sealed now with high excursion drivers. I heard a B&W 10" sub with a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers and they sounded very good together. The only thing is that the output is modest, I'd want at least a pair of 12" B&W subs and that is very expensive. That's why I've gone the DIY sub route as subs are quite easy to DIY.

13. JasR

JasR Auditioning

Tony,
    i have had my system for about 15months now and in that time the only changes i made to the system was the speaker cables which made a big diference i changed them all to MIT Terminator 5 speaker cables. B&W sub i realy like them the bass is very controled and tight but also puts out plenty of punch for home theater, the ASW 675 has 500watt amp and the ASW 600 has 150watt, yes all the better B&W subs are seal now, so no port noise big plus. My Dad also has B&W set up the CDM 7nt fronts and B&W CDM 1nt rears and B&W CDM Cnt centre but he has the new B&W ASW 750 sub this is the best sub that i have heard yet that is still in a reaistic price range, i think you should at least go and listern to them before buying anything.

14. Shannon S.

Shannon S. Stunt Coordinator

I'm running a pair of 601's with a Nad integrated amp and CD player. It sounds really nice.

15. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

I have my front 604 S3s married to my HK7200... They are awesome :b [​IMG]

16. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

Have the rotel rsx1056 with B&W 603s3 and lcr600s3,using def.tech. surrounds until i can get the 601s3's.Rotel and B&W are a great match.

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I've got a trio of DM602s in my front soundfield. Originally I had two 602s with a CC6, but I replaced the CC6 with another 602*. I've used the following front ends in this order:

Philips FR930 old prologic receiver
    Onkyo 828THX prologic receiver with 5.1 in for DD/DTS
    Onkyo 919THX prologic receiver with 5.1 in for DD/DTS (replaced the center with this receiver)
    Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080/AV-P9080 separates
    Outlaw 950 pre with the 9080 amp
    Pioneer VSX-D606S receiver (1997 first gen DD) - current front end.

They all sounded more or less the same to my ears, all wonderful. I don't think you can go wrong with B&W's 600 series. I would recommend you seriously listen to the 603s and the 602s on good stands, both with a good sub, before buying the 603s. You can get just as good sound and save yourself a lot of money in the process by getting the 602s in the front.

18. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

Since you are going to be watching movies mainly, I would HIGHLY recommend the RSP-1068 and say the RMB-1075/95 depending on your money situation. The 1068 will destroy the 1055 for HT usage, plus you'll have the power to really push your speakers and be amazed at how they really sound with this combination.

I have the RSP-1098/RMB-1095/RB-1080 in my 7.1 setup connected to the DM604 S3 mains, LCR600 Center, and DM602 S3s (x4) for the rears. This combination is absolutely amazing. I definitely want to move to the 800 series at some point once I can pay all the rest of this off. [​IMG]

I know the 1068 and 1075/1095 have a very very similar sound and dynamics to my setup and you will be so much happier. The imaging and front sound stage will be so much broader along with the surround enveloping you so much better. If you don't think you have more than a 5.1 surround setup, I'd be shocked, my 7.1 constantly makes me think I have at least 10 speakers because of where sounds are placed while watching movies. [​IMG]

Just a suggestion, if you can afford the combo, I would high recommend this combination over buying just a 1055 and later an amp.