Best Receiver for $1100-$1500? What do you like?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Todd Alexander, May 5, 2003.

1. Todd Alexander

Todd Alexander Stunt Coordinator

I am investigating new receivers. I am replacing an Onkyo SV-909Pro, purchased about 8 years ago. I think I want to get a 7.1 system, but I see some manufacturers (like Yamaha have 6.1). Basically, I'd like to see a comparison between the best receivers in the $1100 - $1500 price range. I am looking at the Onkyo TX-NR900, which has some cool networking features.

If you have a favorite, let me know what model number it is and let me know why you like it.

Thanks,
    -Todd

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Todd,

I just picked up a Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX a few weeks ago afer shopping in a similar price range as you for a new receiver. Of course, after spending that much money on something I would be an idiot for saying that I didn't like the receiver. So far, the MCACC on it is probably the best thing since sliced bread, it's an auto calibration feature. It produces great sound for both music and movies, with all the must have decoding from Dolby and DTS. It alos has a USB port for hooking it up to a PC and you can play MP3's. It would probably be best for you to look at the specs at www.pioneerelectronics.com. I also took a good look at the Denon 3803, Yamaha RXV-2300 and 3300, Marantz 7300, and an Integra 7.3. There's plenty of good receivers out there in that price range, best of luck.

3. Arup

Arup Stunt Coordinator

If you can strech your budget, the best receiver according to me is Yamaha's RX-Z1. Fantastic DSP modes and excellent amp section.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Rotel 1055 gets my vote[​IMG]

5. mike.snazzy

mike.snazzy Auditioning

Rotel 1055 and NAD t762 is the best most clear sound for both movies and music.

6. Barry Lieberman

Wow, someone else besides me who owned an Onkyo 909. I bought mine in Jan 1997 (used), and replaced it with a Rotel 1065 last year. I would reccommend the 1065 to the fullest extent possibe. The 1055 is nice, but it is clearly a compromise from the higher powered 1065.
    Since you are used to the 909's stellar 2-channel performance, the 1055 may prove to be a little thin on stereo music. The 1065 meets and exceeds any performance benchmark that the 909 may have established for you.

The rotel dealer should sell you the 1065 for 1800$, and I think that Its worth it especially if you place a high value on 2 channel music.

Barry

7. Gianni

Gianni Agent

I too would vote Rotel/Nad.

If you are considering Rotel, the 1055 does very well. I drive 4ohm speakers with it and I don't think it sounds thin at all. Actually does music surprisingly well.

The 1065 is a great unit but for that money, I would rather have a 1055 and then augment it with a RB1070 or RMB1075 amp which will be better than the 1065's.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I agree with Gianni logic which is why I recomend the 1055 and an nice 2 channel amp...you'll likely stay under the 1065's price but have a better sounding system for it. If you're interested in Rotel check out Club Rotel