Best Receiver and DVD for <= $500 total?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Graham Martin, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Graham Martin

Graham Martin Stunt Coordinator

I have recently finished the design of my home theater room, bought the chairs, installed the cables and now the upgrade bug has bitten! Like many, I am tempted by the huge drop in progressive scan DVD players recently and I would like to jump in with both feet, but my budget is now shot on new furniture, kitchen, painting, etc. for the new house. My current system and preferences are listed below.

To try something out, I went to Best Buy and purchased a SONY DVP-NS715P and STR-DE685. I have found that the DVD player is good, but the receiver leaves me wanting for more power for the $. I am not convinced with the DVD player, however, so I will return both and get something new if I find a better solution.

I researched threads on the forums and I was looking at the following pairing as a good progressive DVD / receiver upgrade for now.

RECEIVER: Panasonic SA-HE100
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-CP67S

Any thoughts/alternatives?

SYSTEM AND PREFERENCES:

I mostly watch movies (and really enjoy a quality picture) on the system. Seating is anywhere from about 9-12 feet from the 64" screen.

Current system:

Display: Philips 64pp9751 (64" RPTV HDTV ready with all sorts of inputs.)

Receiver: SONY STR-DE515

DVD: Panny A310 (That has had the optics traded out for once already.)

L/R Speakers: B-I-C America Venturi V604ZT (Floor standing towers)

Center Speaker: B-I-C America Venturi V52CLR (On top of the screen)

Surround Speakers: B-I-C America Venturi V52SIB (Standing on 1-2 foot speaker stands)

Subwoofer: None (The other speakers do a good job in producing low tones. However, there are gaps in the db when I test with sound meter. That will just have to wait!)

CD: SONY CDP-CE315

Tape Deck: SONY TC-WE405

VCR: GE VG4274

Games: PS2

Remote: Philips Pronto

Speaker Cables: 14 or 16 gauge Monster Cable

Connectors: 3-6 foot Monster-esque stuff I bought at Best Buy

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Graham,

My suggestion is to check out Pioneer 811, this has being having great reviews here, search the forums, and you could get it for $300 (new). And for DVD the new Panasonic RP-82 has being have great reviews lately, and you could get it for around $230.

Or maybe check Accessorie4less.com for a refurb Marantz, maybe a SR5200.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

3. Graham Martin

Thanks for the quick reply. I will check those out. Anyone else?

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'll second the Pioneer 811S. I have it and it's a great entry/mid level receiver and far superior to the Panasonic HE1000. I've done A/B comparisons with them both because some of my friends down the hall have a HE1000. The biggest difference is the build quality. The Panny has spring clips for goodness sakes! The 811S is much more solidly built. As for sound, they're close, but the HE1000 seems to have inferior amps that lose cleanness and clarity at higher volumes.

As for DVD, i currently have the Panny RP56 and am extremely happy with it. I got it open box for $135 (actually $45, since i got $90 towards a dvd player when i purchased my 43" Hitachi HDTV). It's since then been marked down to $150 new at most retailers. My luck w/ the RP56 makes me think that any Panny player at or above the RP56 will be great. If you want to save $$ go w/ the RP56. If you want all the features (which i don't see the need for in a dvd player) go w/ something higer up the food chain.

Hope this helps

5. Graham Martin

Just to confirm, you are talking about the model number: VSX-D811S?

Thanks!

6. Graham Martin

Another question: Any suggestion on where to try out a VSX-D811S? Thanks!

PS: Any other feednback would be greatly appreciated!

7. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

If you consider the Pioneer, just make sure your speakers are 8 ohm or you may have overload problems...

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I know best buy carries the VSX-D811S. HiFi Buys carried the Pioneer Elite VSX-41, which is the exact same receiver, just disguised as "Elite". If you just want to audition, the 41 would be the same.

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

10. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

Sherwood 6108 is AWESOME!!!!!! I paid $129.99 last week at CC. It was on sell. I own an Onkyo & a Yamaha A/V Receiver. The Onkyo is a Pro Logic Receiver only. The Yamaha does Dolby® Digital & Pro Logic. I bought the Sherwood A/V Receiver with both for only $129.99. The sound quality is just as good as the 2 high-ends that I own. I can't believe it!!!!
    Sherwood is a brand to reckon with. The remote sucks,but I'm going to get one of those learning remote from CC later on. I thought of buying the Panasonic,but the Sherwood was cheaper. I think it's a great buy. I really love having Pro Logic II & DTS.Pro Logic II & DTS are amazing!!!!!! Watched Pearl Harbor & Planet of the Apes in DTS & both sound AWESOME!!!! This Sherwood sounds better than my Yamaha. My PS2 is my DVD player in my bedroom & it never sounded better.
    [​IMG]