best rear projection tv for 2k?? jvc hd-ila vs new sony

Discussion in 'Displays' started by vinny.s, Aug 7, 2005.

1. vinny.s

vinny.s Auditioning

Jul 31, 2005
    I am about to buy a rear projection tv and am between 2 models:
    the jvc hd-52Z575 52 HD-ILA
    and the new 42 grand wega KDF-E42A10

I would say I watch about 80% TV and 20% movies. I will me changing apartments so I cannot say what type of lighting I will have or know a viewing distance. I have read reviews about both and it sounds like the JVC has better picture quality but has slow channel changing speed and fan noise. I am trying to stay around 2-2.5k in price. Any reviews, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks
  2. JasonFour

JasonFour Auditioning

Nov 29, 2004
    Why no replies to this one? I've actually narrowed my choices to these two as well and was quite excited to hear responses--especially considering the A10's aren't in Canada yet.

Not to hijack the thread but only to add to it--do either of these TV's suffer from pixelly shadows/poor banding--basically which one has a 'less digital' picture

3. Randy Brist

Randy Brist Agent

Aug 24, 1998
    I don't know anyting about the JVC proj set, but I purchased the Sony KDF-E42A10 a week ago. It was replacing an HD Sony 34" widescreen set that I'd had for a bit over two years and was seriously on the fritz. I intended to go with another 34' CRT- The Toshiba set, but then saw the Sony KDF-E42A10. I liked the bigger picture size and the fact that with the speaker design at the bottom front of the TV, the set is no wider than a standard 36" 4 X 3 set. It fit perfectly on my current stand which I bought originally for a 36 in TV.

I owned a 46" 4 X 3 projecton TV many years ago so it's been a while since I watched a projection set. The Sony's HD pictures are great, blacks tend to show less detail than on a CRT however. Yes, there is some pixelation during very rapid camera movement or when there are lots of images or lights flashing in the image, but the vast majority of scenes are fine. I've taught TV production at a high school for over 26 years and am used to CRT it has been a bit of a challenge getting used to the projected image. The built in HD tuner is nice, but I have only one HD station close by, with 3 or 4 more about 65 miles away so will need an antenna. I get my HD via Insight Cable. Like I said, the HD images are great via the cable box, the analog channels look pretty bad on this set--but in fairness they didn't look that great on the CRT. I watch the non-premium channels straight into the TV and they look 100% than through the cable box. I was watching SPIKE TV the other day (Star Trek: Next Gen) and the program looked liked they really had compressed the video. Lots of jagged edges, etc... I think the LCD projector emphasized that more than a CRT does. It's the only program I noticed this on so far.

Overall I would say the Sony KDF-E42A10 is a great buy for the money (I paid $1899) when I didn't want to spend twice that on a plasma or lcd screen set of the same size. The LCD rear projection idea by Sony is a good one I think. I must also comment on the remote. Blah! Not illuminated, extra long, and the codes they provide to operate other devices- I couldn't get any of them to work. I have a Motorola cable box and a Toshiba DVD/VCR. The remote won't run either device.

Kind of a long ramble-sorry- but since the Sony KDF-E42A10 is a new set, thought I'd share my story.

Lafayette, In.