Best quality 480p, 4:3 television or RPTV with anmorphic 16/9 squeeze for under 2k

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

What are your thoughts? I will be about 8 feet from front of tv.

2. Roque_A

Roque_A Auditioning

Hey Todd. I have A Hitachi 36udx10s and I love it. It is a 36inch HDTV and the picture is awesome. I don't have a stb yet so I haven't had a chance to check it out with HD but I will soon. Dvd's look great on this set and will do the squeeze. It retails for about $1599 at Circuit City or Sears. I would highly recommend checking out this set if you are in the market for a direct view hdtv. The only problem is that it isn't completely flat but then again I have no problems with light hitting the screen in my room so it wasn't an issue. On the plus side though it does not have the geometry issues that most flat screens have like the 3 Wegas I had prior to this one(plus I had other issues with the sonys). If you have any questions about the set let me know.
    Roque[​IMG]

3. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Nice! I will check it out! Any other suggestions?

4. Dan Kolacz

Dan Kolacz Stunt Coordinator

Sony 61HS20/30

It is awesome for 4:3 TV - I have regular cable too and it looks great.

It is beautful for 16:9 anamorphic DVDs. I just bought some foamboard from an art supply store to make some widescreen mattes. With the mattes on at night, you could not tell the difference between a true 16:9 and this 4:3 beauty.

It is incredible for Xbox (I prefer S-Video rather than component however - but thats another story)

I paid $1862 for it at a local store. IMO, you just cant get a better set for the money at that price.

5. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

For the price of RPTVs nowadays, I can't imagine not getting one over a direct-view unless the person just wants a cheaper analog set for under a thousand or hates doing minor upkeep such as 9-point conversion. IMO, the price of direct-view HDTVs is ridiculous compared to HD RPTVs. When you can get a 47" to 51" Panasonic or Samsung for $1800 without even trying, that large of a screen is hard to pass up.

6. Michael St. Clair

I agree with Patti except if you will be viewing at 8 feet, I'd get the 53". I see a hot-spotting effect at such short distances with the 61".

Though I can't understand how she prefers the reduced resolution of 480i for gaming...

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

8. Michael St. Clair

9. Dan Kolacz

M St. Clair wrote............

>>I agree with Patti except if you will be viewing at 8 feet, I'd get the 53". I see a hot-spotting effect at such short distances with the 61".

Hello, I was just wondering what you meant by hot spotting. I sit about 7-8 feet away and I think it looks great!

>>Though I can't understand how she prefers the reduced resolution of 480i for gaming...

Ahhhh, yes. Well lemme explain....I used to have the Sony KP-43T70 connected to my Xbox via S-Video. I thought it looked incredible.

Since then I have bought the 61-HS20. I also purchased the Monster Xbox component cables. It does look really good!

But that is the problem, it looks TOO good. Every jaggie, every 3D artifact is much more noticeable with the component cables. The characters and models in the games just do not look as real to me because of this.

I did a test and hooked up my Xbox via S-Video to the new TV and I do prefer the look of the S-Video. It looks a little "duller" but games also look "less computer-like" and therefore more real. It's hard to explain, but it is just my preference.

10. Michael St. Clair

Patti,

I'm probably partially abusing the term 'hot-spotting', but what I am talking about is a darkening of the edges of the screen...this is due to being further off axis from the edge of the screen compared to the center...the amount of which increases as you get closer to the screen.. For it to not be distracting, I need to sit about 10 feet away from a 61", and about 8 feet from a 53". My wife doesn't notice it when sitting a couple of feet closer, but I do!

11. Dan Kolacz

Ahhhh, I understand now.

I guess I have noticed this at times as well, but it is so slight that it is not bothersome to my eyes, especially if the room is very dark.

Thanks for the explanation