What's new

Best "Punk Rock" Albums (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

Along those lines, I recently heard a great cover by the Manic Hispanics doing 'God Save the Queen' in Spanish

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

Along those lines, I recently heard a great cover by the Manic Hispanics doing 'God Save the Queen' in Spanish

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
The Repo Man soundtrack is great. Circle Jerks, Fear, even the title song. Another great soundtrack is from the film Suburbia. The one from 1984. It has DI, TSOL, and the Vandals.

As far as top albums go, here's my list in no particular order.

1. Descendents - If you want the "greatest hits" get Somery, if you want the best album it's a toss up betwen Milo Goes to College and I don't want to grow up.

2. The Damned - Damned, Damned, Damned, and Machine Gun ettiquette.

3. The Misfits - Walk Among Us. The box set is great but if you had to have one album, Walk Among Us.

4. The Anti-Nowehere League - We Are..The League. I think the censored version is the only one available. You can get the uncensored version of the song Animal on one of the compilations.

5. Buzzcocks - There is a box set I think called Product. It is the only box set I have seen where every song is good.

6. Naked Raygun - One album? Throb Throb. They all have at least a few GREAT songs.

7. X - The double CD set. I forget the name.

8. Fear - Fear. Great production and Lee Ving has a great voice.

9. Circle Jerks - Group Sex

10. Black Flag - I think it's Everything Went Black. It has three or four versions of each song with different singers.

11. Sex Pistols - Never Mind the bollocks. The other albums can't always be classified as "Sex Pistol" albums because some of the songs like "My Way" are one or two members with studio musicians. I think only Sid and Paul Cook are actually on that one. I think my favorite song from them is "Revolution in the Classroom" and I can't even be positive it's Johnny singing.

12. Dead Boys - Old Loud and Snotty. Actually, I love Stiv's solo stuff, too.

13. Dead Kennedys - Although Jello is just as guilty as brainwashing as those he accuses, I still respect the guy and think this is one of the best bands ever. One Album? Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death. It's like a "best of".

14. Bad Brains - I against I is my favorite.

15. Bad Religion - I can honestly say that I enjoyed everything (haven't really hear into Unknown) from How Could Hell be Any Worse? to Against the Grain. I think seeing them live the last time had something to do with it for the Recipe for Hate tour. The song "Stranger than Fiction is great but I don't care for the rest of the album. Suffer is probably the best album but they were consistently great up until Generator.

16. Toy Dolls - Any compilation would do.

17. Ramones - All that stuff and more Vol. I & II. Anybody else remember years ago that is was announced that these volumes would eventually encompass all things Ramones? They were supposed to release these untill all the albums were re-released, 2 on each CD. I wish they didn't stop. Joey's solo stuff is great, too. My wedding song was Joey Ramone's rendition of "I got you Babe" with Holly Beth Vincent.

I know I left a bunch of ones out like exploited but I find that a lot of bands that have great songs don't always have them on the same albums.

OK, the next ones are "guilty pleasures". Maybe not "real" punk in the strict definition of the word. I probably accumulated enough "punk points" over the years to cash some in on these -

Wynona Riders - JD Salinger. Don't ask me why, but I love this band.
Green Day - 39 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours. Their first album, and first few singles. Raw, whiny, loser garage rock. I love it.
Jawbreaker - Very talented band. One album? That's difficult. Etc. is a good comp.
NOFX - I only like the White Trash album but I really like it. I can do without the rest of them.
Sweet Baby - It's a Girl! Great, great, surfy, poppy, punk. The vinyl was out of print for years. In fact, the only vinyl I have ever seen all said "Pomotional Use Only" stamped on the cover. Lookout records now has this on CD. The perody of the original label on the CD is hilarious.

An upcoming band to watch for is the NY Rel-X. If you like Vice Squad and X-Ray Spex this will probably be up your alley.

OK, I need to stop writing because I am thinking of more bands like the Vibrators and I don't want the list to go on forever.

Matt

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
The Repo Man soundtrack is great. Circle Jerks, Fear, even the title song. Another great soundtrack is from the film Suburbia. The one from 1984. It has DI, TSOL, and the Vandals.

As far as top albums go, here's my list in no particular order.

1. Descendents - If you want the "greatest hits" get Somery, if you want the best album it's a toss up betwen Milo Goes to College and I don't want to grow up.

2. The Damned - Damned, Damned, Damned, and Machine Gun ettiquette.

3. The Misfits - Walk Among Us. The box set is great but if you had to have one album, Walk Among Us.

4. The Anti-Nowehere League - We Are..The League. I think the censored version is the only one available. You can get the uncensored version of the song Animal on one of the compilations.

5. Buzzcocks - There is a box set I think called Product. It is the only box set I have seen where every song is good.

6. Naked Raygun - One album? Throb Throb. They all have at least a few GREAT songs.

7. X - The double CD set. I forget the name.

8. Fear - Fear. Great production and Lee Ving has a great voice.

9. Circle Jerks - Group Sex

10. Black Flag - I think it's Everything Went Black. It has three or four versions of each song with different singers.

11. Sex Pistols - Never Mind the bollocks. The other albums can't always be classified as "Sex Pistol" albums because some of the songs like "My Way" are one or two members with studio musicians. I think only Sid and Paul Cook are actually on that one. I think my favorite song from them is "Revolution in the Classroom" and I can't even be positive it's Johnny singing.

12. Dead Boys - Old Loud and Snotty. Actually, I love Stiv's solo stuff, too.

13. Dead Kennedys - Although Jello is just as guilty as brainwashing as those he accuses, I still respect the guy and think this is one of the best bands ever. One Album? Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death. It's like a "best of".

14. Bad Brains - I against I is my favorite.

15. Bad Religion - I can honestly say that I enjoyed everything (haven't really hear into Unknown) from How Could Hell be Any Worse? to Against the Grain. I think seeing them live the last time had something to do with it for the Recipe for Hate tour. The song "Stranger than Fiction is great but I don't care for the rest of the album. Suffer is probably the best album but they were consistently great up until Generator.

16. Toy Dolls - Any compilation would do.

17. Ramones - All that stuff and more Vol. I & II. Anybody else remember years ago that is was announced that these volumes would eventually encompass all things Ramones? They were supposed to release these untill all the albums were re-released, 2 on each CD. I wish they didn't stop. Joey's solo stuff is great, too. My wedding song was Joey Ramone's rendition of "I got you Babe" with Holly Beth Vincent.

I know I left a bunch of ones out like exploited but I find that a lot of bands that have great songs don't always have them on the same albums.

OK, the next ones are "guilty pleasures". Maybe not "real" punk in the strict definition of the word. I probably accumulated enough "punk points" over the years to cash some in on these -

Wynona Riders - JD Salinger. Don't ask me why, but I love this band.
Green Day - 39 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours. Their first album, and first few singles. Raw, whiny, loser garage rock. I love it.
Jawbreaker - Very talented band. One album? That's difficult. Etc. is a good comp.
NOFX - I only like the White Trash album but I really like it. I can do without the rest of them.
Sweet Baby - It's a Girl! Great, great, surfy, poppy, punk. The vinyl was out of print for years. In fact, the only vinyl I have ever seen all said "Pomotional Use Only" stamped on the cover. Lookout records now has this on CD. The perody of the original label on the CD is hilarious.

An upcoming band to watch for is the NY Rel-X. If you like Vice Squad and X-Ray Spex this will probably be up your alley.

OK, I need to stop writing because I am thinking of more bands like the Vibrators and I don't want the list to go on forever.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks