What's new

Best projector under $2,000 (1 Viewer)

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
I really like the Panasonic AE-100 about 1500.oo and a bulb life of 5000 hrs. any other projector in this price range will actually cost 500. more to operate over the same period of time.( check E-bay)this is based on the price of bulbs and bulb-life. BY the way I think the picture is great for the money.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
David,
if you project the AE100 into "only" a 65" widescreen picture..how would the quality compare with a rear projection at that size?

-ELmO

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
When buying a projector, what are the important things to look out for?
Resolution: These days, I would suggest 1024x768 (XGA) or 1366x768 (XVGA) or better (HD capable).
Features: Keystone correction, digital zoom
Bulb usage: 2000 hours or greater.
Inputs: Composite, s-video, component, computer (for HTPC applications although not 100% necessary)
Brightness: This is a relative measurement but for arguments sake, 1000 a.l. or greater with a contrast of 700:1 or greater, although there are great projectors that may not fall in this range and CRT certainly may not be as bright. Being able to control room ambient light is the real key here.

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
Elmo
I was using a sony 53incher ,I much prefer the AE-100, as to quality @ 65 inches ,well let me say I don't know because I'm watching it at 84 inches , 65 is just too small!

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I second the "LT150" nomination! It's the best purchase I've made since my B&W speakers a few years back.:emoji_thumbsup:

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Does anyone play game son their projector though?
I worry about lag time with an LCD projector.
Response..press the button does it happen immediately on the screen?

-ELmO

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I've owned LCD in the past and I've never noticed any lag while gaming. None on the DLP either.:emoji_thumbsup:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
LCD/DLP/CRT, they are all real time and work fine with games, although personally I would not play video games on a system that would require a $300 bulb replacement every 2000 hours.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
You will not notice lag on a digital display unless you're playing against someone on a CRT projector or on a standard monitor. Then, you will. :)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Ok thanks. How much better is the quality of DLP projectors than LCD?
I find DLP better but not all people do, it really depends on what you want. DLP does not suffer the "screendoor" effect that LCD does and they also do a much better job of "blacks" and contrast ratio. LCD also tends to have dead pixel problems that seem to show up much more in LCD's than a dead mirror on a DLP. Just my opinion and I've owned both. I've also owned CRT as well.

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
although personally I would not play video games on a system that would require a $300 bulb replacement every 2000 hours.
Another vote for the 5000 hours the AE100? :)
Actually,its a non-factor....If you take the average life of most 3000 hours....Thats 3 hours a day for about 3 years (333 days of use)....Based on a per hour usage for a $300 bulb - its 10cents an hour.....TEN CENTS AN HOUR...!! To play on a 7ft wide screen...!!!...I would pay that - sign me up...!!!
Do you know how much cash I went thru as a teen in the 70's playing Pac-Man & Pong prior to gaming being affordable on consoles....My gosh...I will take being immersed in a 7ft wide screen and 700 watts of dolby digital sound over my 27" with two tinny speakers any day of the week....for 10cents an hours it deal no matter how you slice it...

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Ok thanks. How much better is the quality of DLP projectors than LCD?
They're not.
Each technology has its advantages and disadvantages. If it was as clearcut as that, one technology would die. This is not the case.
DLP advantages:
  • Fill ratio reaches upwards of 88% (LCD's reach upwards of 85%)
  • Contrast on the best DLP's reach 3000:1 (LCD's reach upwards of 1000:1 or so)
  • Black levels are lower on DLP's
LCD advantages:
  • Colors tend to be better than on DLP's, especially red. Much better colors in many cases.
  • No rainbows to worry about.
  • LCD's tend to be brighter than single chip DLP's
  • Higher resolution LCD's are available than DLP's (upwards of 1366x768 on consumer LCDs, up to 1600x1200 on business LCD, up to 1280x720 on consumer DLP, up to 1280x1024 on business DLP)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Actually, I am on my way to the store soon to do a demo/comparison between the Sharp 9000U (DLP) and the Sony VPL-VW12HT (LCD). The Sharp is more expensive for sure but I am willing to bet the Sony is a very close contender.

Users who are viewing this thread