What's new

BEST PROJECTOR UNDER 1K - DISCUSS! hehe (1 Viewer)

Mike Lake

Auditioning
Real Name
MIke
Hey all, looking to get into the Home theater game! Not a guru, not a gamer, just for movies! I have watched every video Youtube has to offer but am completely confused. Anyone out there already done the heavy lifting on this question in 2017? So may machines and some have higher ratios, some have higher lumens, some have special color packages others do not. Anyone purchased a projector in 2017 and know all this stuff?

Thanks everyone!

ML

Mike Lake

Auditioning
Real Name
MIke
The Benq HT2050 appears to be the best one under $1,000. I wouldn't waste my time watching those videos on YouTube.

Read the reviews on this model here, and at Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com(Art does the most thorough reviews out there).
Hey Jim! I have that one on my list. I guess I have been doing this quite mathematically. Just looking on amazon at the stats comparison. This one has 2200 lumens and 15,000:1 which is pretty low. The Epson 2150 has 2500 lumens and says 60,000:1 and the Optima GT something or another has 3000 lumens and is 28,000:1 and they are all about the same price. From what I am learning though it is just not about the numbers which is what is making it confusing. I have to think anything in this price range as to be pretty decent and you cant go wrong. I think my head is spinning from watching all these youtube videos.

Mike Lake

Auditioning
Real Name
MIke
this one was posted - Projector We Would Have Liked to Review: Optoma HD142X

On a review site and it is only 500 bucks which is crazy. I am completely in paralysis by analysis at this point and just don't know what to buy. Is Black Friday a good time to get one where it is so close?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
One little suggestion, if you haven't done this already - if you live near a Best Buy that has a Magnolia home theater section inside it, or any other higher end electronics store, pay them a visit. A lot of places have a showroom with at least one projector, if not multiple ones. Right now, it sounds like you're getting a lot of tech specs thrown at you, but don't have the context to know what all of it means practically speaking and what's a priority for you and what's not. Getting to see a projector or two demo'd -- even if they're not models that you're planning on getting -- may be helpful in giving you a reference point.

Depending on where you're located, there may even be a HTF member who might be able to invite you over to their home theater for a demo.

Mike Lake

Auditioning
Real Name
MIke
Wow that projector central site is awesome, lists it all out there right in front of you! If you compare them all though the Epson 2150 and Epson 3100 with the 60,000:1 seem hard to beat but I don't understand why the 3100 is almost double the price of the 2150 yet the stats are almost all the same. WOW the LG is 150,000:1 but 1400 lumens, that is great contrast but not so good lumens. Without being able to see them all you really have to go buy is lumens, contrast and price.

Mike Lake

Auditioning
Real Name
MIke
I will check all my best buys in the area! Iknow the one up by us does not have a theater section. Another question for the masses... when you see these on Amazon and you can get "Expert Installation" for 250 bucks on a projector, who exactly do they get to come and install it? 250 bucks to make sure it is done right sounds pretty darned good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn35
Recent bookmarks